Nightclub’s license under scrutiny
Club Bene liquor license in jeopardy
after shots fired
Krome, formerly known as Club Bene, Sayreville, is under scrutiny again after shots were fired and a fight occurred there over the weekend.
Sayreville is now investigating to see if a local nightclub violated conditions of their liquor license after a shooting incident this past weekend.
Although it is still not clear whether Krome, the former Club Bene, violated any of the stipulations of its recently renewed liquor license, several members of the Borough Council said they will be looking into it.
"Personally, this nonsense has to stop, and it will stop," said Councilman Vincent Zarcaro.
Police on patrol in the area of the Route 35 club Sunday at about 3 a.m. said they witnessed 22-year-old Brian Arlene of New Brunswick go to his car and pull out a .22-caliber automatic handgun.
Witnesses say Arlene shot about five to six shots into the air before Sgt. Robert Lasko could get through the crowd and subdue him.
Arlene was taken to Raritan Bay Medical Center, Perth Amboy division, for facial cuts and a broken jaw. He was treated and released, police said, for injuries sustained when several patrons of the club began to pummel him in anger.
Arlene is being charged with aggravated assault, unlawful possession of a weapon, unlawful possession, possession of a stolen weapon and possession of hollow point bullets.
Arlene was later taken to Middlesex County Adult Correction Center where, as of Tuesday, he was still awaiting arraignment.
Police are still investigating the incident, and would only say that a fight earlier that night may have prompted him to go and retrieve the handgun.
Due to the crowd of an estimated 400-500 patrons present during the melee, police also had to call upon the assistance of Woodbridge, South Amboy and Perth Amboy police.
There were also several other incidents that occurred in the parking lot of the club that night.
Sandy Hart of Rahway was stabbed seven times in the parking lot of the club. He was taken to Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital, New Brunswick, where he was treated and released on Monday.
Long Branch resident Darran Jones, 22 was also arrested and charged with aggravated assault for a separate fight in the parking lot of the club.
Councilman Ray Skarzynski said that although he has yet to hear any official word from borough police, he will not tolerate any business in town that results in violent acts.
"Thank God nobody was hurt," said Council President Mary Novak.
Novak said the situation will be dealt with appropriately based upon the facts regarding the case.
"It is difficult to blame other patrons for the acts of one," said Novak.
Novak said she is glad that borough police acted so promptly and that no one was more seriously injured in the incident.
"This is a problem that we need to deal with," said Zarcaro.
Novak said the borough may begin looking into ways of making sure that an incident like this does not occur again.
"I find certain things disturbing about the situation," said Zarcaro.
Just last month, the borough approved the renewal of the liquor license for the club after borough police called for a hearing in protest of their renewal.
The club license, although renewed, came with several stipulations including valet parking, a security ratio of one guard for every 50 patrons and no alcohol on the premises during teen nights.
If the club is found in violation of any of the stipulations, it could lose its liquor license.

