21 charges against Krome nightclub Complaint addresses security, underage drinking, noise levels

Staff Writer

By takesha pettus

21 charges against Krome nightclub
Complaint addresses security, underage drinking, noise levels

Based on the findings of a feasibility study and community ad hoc committee, Spotswood Board of Education members have announced tentative plans for expansion of the district’s four schools.

A discussion was held during the Oct. 11 Board of Education meeting, in which school officials attempted to explain the need for architectural changes in Schoenly, Appleby and Memorial schools as well as in Spotswood High School.

"As it is, we have trailers set up outside Appleby School to alleviate the space problem there," said Superintendent Tony Vaz. "Total enrollment [in all schools] is already at more than 1,600 students, which is 68 more pupils than last year."

Furthermore, the state-mandated prekindergarten program will become a reality within the next few years, adding to the increasing enrollment numbers.

While Vaz would like to assure parents that nothing has been finalized, he has said that the board will use architect Larry Medefindt to devise conceptual drawings for a formal public presentation.

This will occur sometime before Dec. 15, which is the deadline for applications under the New Jersey Five-Year Facility Maintenance Plan.

If the borough’s architectural drawings coordinate with the plan specifications, the state would then decide how much of the 40 percent maximum contribution Spotswood would be eligible to receive under the School Construction Bill.

Thus far, renovation plans would include the addition of 10 classrooms to Schoenly School, which currently houses kindergarten and first-grade pupils. It will also most likely be the home of future pre-kindergarten classes.

Memorial School would be expanded to house sixth-grade students from Appleby School, transforming the facility into a "true middle school, serving grades six-eight," officials said.

At the same time, this would alleviate cramping at the Appleby School, which would be reorganized to accommodate students in grades two-five.

Additionally, students in Memorial would get their own music and lunch rooms, rather than having to share the high school’s. Appleby students would benefit from a new gymnasium, cafeteria and language-arts rooms.

Spotswood High School would see renovations to its media center and industrial-arts facilities, which are overcrowded.

"There will also be minor improvements made throughout all of the buildings," added Vaz.

To date, there has been no mention of price with regard to the construction plans, according to Vaz. "It is too early to speculate costs, but that does not mean we can’t still discuss our intentions with the public," Vaz said.

Vaz also said he has already notified the residents and governing bodies in Helmetta, Milltown, and Spotswood of the proposal.

He also made sure that residents from Helmetta and Spotswood were incorporated into the committees.

"We want them to be involved," said Vaz.

The borough of Helmetta sends all of its children to Spotswood Schools, while Milltown uses Spotswood High School.

"So far, public reaction has been favorable," he said. "These are well-thought-out suggestions that would truly benefit all of our students. I’m confident residents will see that."

If all goes well in December, school board members plan to conduct a public hearing to discuss cost and state aid. Their hopes are that a bond referendum will go to a vote sometime next year.

Police here have filed formal charges with Sayreville against a local nightclub that could result in the suspension of its liquor license.

A total of 21 charges have been filed by police against Krome, the former Club Bene, for numerous alleged violations at the club over the last two months.

Although a date to hear the charges has not been set, the club could lose its liquor license for two years if found guilty.

Police are claiming that the Route 35 club violated the terms and conditions placed on their liquor license when the borough renewed that license in August.

According to the complaint, the club violated terms of the license when it failed to notify the borough of its name change. Also, the club operated in an improper manner on several occasions in August and earlier this month when it allowed patrons to fight and loiter around the premises, which resulted in fights and traffic congestion, police said.

At least one incident resulted in several arrests, including one patron being charged for possession of weapon.

On Sunday, Oct. 8, a 22-year-old New Brunswick man was arrested after he allegedly shot four or five times into the air with a .22-caliber automatic handgun.

Although no one was shot in the incident, the gunfire sparked several other fights.

As a result of the fights, police had to call upon the assistance of South Amboy, Woodbridge and Perth Amboy police.

"My children were 200 feet from those bullets," said Morgan resident Thomas O’Leary.

Residents who packed council chambers last Wednesday at the Borough Council meeting gave repeated testimony about the club’s lack of respect for nearby residents.

O’Leary, a Second Street resident in the Morgan section of town, also submitted a 416 signature petition against the nightclub.

The petition is asking that the borough take action against the nightclub, or the residents will file a class-action suit against the borough and the nightclub.

O’Leary said he and his fellow residents are fed up with constant disturbances at the club.

The father of four said that after the Oct. 8 incident, he and his wife considered moving out of the neighborhood in which he has lived for the past 11 years.

"We love where we live," said O’Leary. "I built this house with my own two hands, but reluctantly we would be forced to move out of this town if this situation continues."

O’Leary said that if the residents who live near the club do file the class-action suit, they would be asking for financial damages for reduced residential property value as a direct result of the council’s inability to resolve the major safety matter.

"This activity is unacceptable for our neighborhood, and it’s just a matter of time before an innocent child or adult gets severely hurt or killed," said O’Leary.

The police department’s charges this week echoed that concern.

According to the complaint, the club did not have adequate security staffing during the night of the Oct. 8 incident or thereafter. Nor did the club’s security officers wear identifiable clothing on the nights in question. Police said proper precautions were not taken to ensure that underage patrons were not served alcohol on specified nights. Garbage pickup after an event was not conducted by club staff, and the club violated the local noise ordinance during events, police said. Additionally, valet parking for patrons during events was never implemented as requested in the liquor license renewal.

The borough will hear the charges filed by the police department, because the borough issued the liquor license.

A date for the disciplinary hearing has not yet been set. If found guilty, the club could lose its liquor license for two years.