Rescue squad says only one
of three ambulances works
SOUTH RIVER — The Rescue Squad warned the borough that a life-threatening situation could arise if their ambulances are not fixed.
According to a Monday, Oct. 16 letter submitted to the borough from the South River Rescue Squad, only one of the three ambulances that the squad owns is in service. The letter said that the 1998 ambulance has over 14,000 miles, is leaking oil and has a failing transmission.
The odometer on the 1986 Ford ambulance has already rolled over past 100,000 miles.
On Monday, Borough Council President David Sliker said all of the ambulances have been fixed well enough to work for now.
No one from the squad was available for comment by deadline, Monday night.
Sliker insists that there is no threat to anyone’s life due to the ambulance problems.
Earlier this year, the squad and borough officials finally signed an agreement to allow the squad to become a part of the borough. In exchange, the borough agreed to fund and maintain the squad building, equipment and insurance for the squad.
But the squad is still not officially a part of the borough, Sliker said.
According to Sliker, the squad has yet to give the borough an inventory of their assets. The inventory list would allow the borough to know what equipment and other possessions are available for maintenance and insurance purposes.
"Everything is still in limbo," said Sliker.
Sliker said the borough’s mechanic is currently going through the estimates that the squad sent to the borough for repairs.
The council president added that he spoke to the mechanic who said he can perform about 60 percent of the repairs on the ambulances and rescue truck.
Sliker said all three of the ambulances have been repaired sufficiently to work for now. But the borough and the squad could discuss replacing one of the current ambulances or converting the rescue truck into an ambulance for the 2001 municipal budget, he added.
Rescue squad attendance remains low. The squad is seeking volunteers, especially during the 6 a.m. to 6 p.m. shift.
Mayor Robert Szegeti has suggested hiring an outside firm to cover those times of day when there is little or no coverage from the squad.
But squad members have expressed their disapproval of outside firms. Instead, they have suggested allowing borough residents to be paid for their services during the 6 a.m. to 6 p.m. shift.
Earlier this month, Assemblywoman Barbara Buono (D-18th) and Warren Barnes (D-18th) proposed legislation to give money back to business owners who allow their employees who are volunteers for the fire and rescue squads to leave work to answer calls during business hours.

