Cause of Chicopee fire still unknown
Arson suspected but
not confirmed,
Milltown officials say
MILLTOWN — The jury is still out as to what caused the Nov. 19 fire at the former Chicopee diaper plant on Ford Avenue.
"Unfortunately, there is nothing new to report," said Assistant County Prosecutor Ralph Cretella.
Cretella also heads the County Arson Unit.
"We have made some headway, but there is not enough evidence to prove that it was arson, let alone charge anyone," said Cretella. "Still, we are not abandoning the possibility of arson."
Cretella added that he expects to have a better idea after the New Year as to what caused the fire.
"A thorough investigation will continue," he said.
In the meantime, borough officials will continue with an investigation of their own to determine the costs associated with battling the 23-hour blaze.
During the Dec. 4 Borough Council meeting, the governing body agreed to pursue reimbursement of those fees from the factory complex’s owner, Lawrence Berger.
Earlier this week, Borough Business Administrator Richard Rydstrom reported an estimated $70,000 in costs.
This figure, he said, does not include the costs incurred by the other 150 fire companies who helped out.
Insurance investigators on behalf of Berger were reportedly at the scene last week to assess the damage.
Plans for what to do with the rubble, which borough officials view as a safety hazard, have not yet been disclosed.
Rydstrom said he expects to speak with Berger later this week, at which time he hopes to obtain some closure on all matters.

