South River shocked by shooting
spree
Mayor reaches out to victims and their families
PHOTOS BY JEFF HUNTLEY Police, emergency and borough officials swarmed William Street, South River, last week after a borough man allegedly went on a shooting spree, injuring the South River police chief, a lieutenant and two civilians.
South River police officials and borough residents are still trying to figure out what triggered 31-year-old Edward Abrams Jr. to go on a shooting spree last week.
Many in the neighborhood said they were shocked by the news of the William Street shooting that began on June Street at 10:35 a.m. and ended just inside of Vargas Park around 10:45 a.m. Thursday, Dec. 21.
"It’s a quiet neighborhood," said William Street resident Edward J. Stemplewski.
Stemplewski, who was sleeping at the time of the incident, said that when he awoke and saw the street blocked off by police, he thought it was nothing more than a gas leak.
South River Police Capt. Michael Trojanowski speaks to reporters during a press conference in South River following a fatal shooting in town last week.
"It’s a sad day in South River," said Michael Binns, another William Street resident. Binns said he grew up with Abrams and knew him well.
"He was a great guy," said Binns.
According to Binns, Abrams never wanted for anything in life while growing up, and he was a fairly quiet individual.
"He didn’t bother anybody," said Binns. "It was a shock to me."
Residents of William Street claimed they heard a loud, explosive noise and smelled sulfur in the air before Abrams began shooting.
William Street resident Mary Bloss said she heard a loud bang.
"I hid in the closet," said Bloss.
William Street resident Jerzy Czyz said he heard an initial explosion and thought it was possibly a gas explosion.
"Then I saw a guy walking through the street shooting," he said.
Assistant Middlesex County Prosecutor Ernest Bergman said there was a minor explosion in the back of Abrams’ pickup truck just prior to the shooting, but police are not sure what caused the explosion.
Police who investigated Abrams’ June Street home Thursday found more than 2,300 shotgun rounds and 34 firearms, Bergman said.
Police are still trying to determine whether or not the arsenal inside the home was legally registered by Abrams. Bergman said it will take several weeks to do so.
During the shooting spree, two residents suffered minor injuries, and South River Police Chief Wesley Bomba and Lt. John Bouthillette, who responded to the scene, were seriously injured and transported to Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital, New Brunswick.
Since the incident, Mayor Robert Szegeti said the borough is looking into ways it can help the families of the officers in the near future.
"We have to look and see what we can do as a borough for the officers," said Szegeti.
Szegeti also said he has visited Chief Bomba, who was recently upgraded to good condition. Szegeti has made several attempts to visit Lt. Bouthillette, who was also upgraded to good condition, but he has not been able to.
The entire Borough Council has visited the families of the officers and shooting victims over the holiday season, Szegeti said.
The council is looking into temporary home health care through the officers’ workers’ compensation plan once they are released from the hospital.
Szegeti said both men will need additional help during their recovery. Bomba is single and Bouthillette is married, he said.
"The burden shouldn’t be put on the families," said Szegeti.
Sayreville Mayor Kennedy O’Brien expressed condolence on behalf of the borough to the families of Bomba and Bouthillette.
"It’s always a tragedy when one of our police (officers) is shot in the line of duty," said O’Brien.

