Mayor promises close look at allegations against cops But Wilson says Freehold will not tolerate threats to ‘shut down’ borough

Staff Writer

By dick metzgar

Mayor promises close look
at allegations against cops
But Wilson says Freehold
will not tolerate threats
to ‘shut down’ borough

FREEHOLD — Mayor Michael Wil-son said the borough will not give in to threats to close down the town in connection with allegations of police brutality resulting from the arrest of two borough sisters on July 25.

In a statement issued late last week, Wilson did say a full investigation is being carried out concerning the charges resulting from the arrests of Ziyadah Perry, 24, and Zurinah Perry, 21, when police responded to at least one noise complaint report in the area of Ford Avenue and Lloyd Street at 1 a.m. July 25.

The Perry sisters and their grandmother, Norma Randolph, a civil rights activist in the borough, claim the sisters not only were victims of police brutality during their arrest, but were excessively mistreated afterward while being processed at police headquarters.

A civil rights group including Randolph and Sgt. De Lacey D. Davis, an East Orange police officer and the leader of Black Cops Against Police Brutality (B-CAP), appeared at a Borough Council meeting on Aug. 6 to demand that justice be done and action be taken against the officers involved in the matter.

Davis warned that if council members and police officials did not meet with B-CAP members within one week, civil rights groups would converge on the borough and shut it down.

In his statement, Wilson said, "The women’s grandmother, together with a law enforcement officer from East Orange came to a Borough Council meeting to protest the treatment of the women. This East Orange policeman referred to our police department as ‘fake’ police and threatened to disturb the peace of our community."

Wilson said police officers will be encouraged to continue doing their job to protect the residents of the borough.

"The freedom we have to associate and congregate does not provide the right to disturb the peace and quiet of one’s neighbors," Wilson said. "As mayor, I assure you that appropriate police response will be provided to protect and preserve the peace of our town. We will not be ‘shut down’ by any one person or group. I invite anyone and everyone to come to Freehold Borough to share in our diverse backgrounds and interests and our success in blending them together."

Wilson’s account of what happened early July 25 parallels that of the official police report.

"At approximately 1:05 a.m. July 25, police responded to a noise complaint in the area of Center Street and Ford Avenue," Wilson said. "Upon arrival they found the two intoxicated women screaming and fighting in the street. After the women refused the officer’s instruction to quiet down and return inside, the officer attempted to arrest them and restore the peace of the neighborhood.

"The two women resisted arrest, punching, kicking and spitting at both Freehold Borough and Freehold Township officers in the course of the action," Wilson continued. "In the course of the struggle, one woman’s tank top came off. Despite this, she continued to resist arrest and attack the police. The women were immediately brought to the police station and placed in holding cells. They continued to be aggressive and belligerent."

Both women were charged with aggravated assault on police officers, resisting arrest and spraying bodily fluids on police. Both were placed in the Monmouth County jail, Freehold Township, in default of bail. They were later released.

"All charges arising from this event will proceed in the normal course through the courts," Wilson said.

The mayor defended the reputation of the borough’s police department, but emphasized that all complaints against the department and its officers will be thoroughly investigated.

"I believe our police officers are some of the finest human beings and would compare their professionalism, integrity and dedication with any other police department in New Jersey, bar none," Wilson said. "We thoroughly investigate every complaint brought to us. I have always encouraged open dialogue with our residents and am eager and willing to work with the community to foster better relations between the police, the governing body and the community at large. I do not trivialize the concerns brought to us, but neither am I intimidated by threats. Freehold Borough has a long and rich history of cultural diversity. Our success as a diverse community is in part due to the outstanding service rendered by our police in preserving our quality of life."

Wilson said he is meeting with the various individuals and groups concerned with the July 25 incident.

"The complex set of conditions that permit a town to co-exist peacefully with one another is a continually evolving process," the mayor said. "In order to strengthen the ties that bind us, I have already commenced meetings with members of the Monmouth County Human Relations Commission, representatives of the Freehold Chapter of the NAACP, the Monmouth County Prosecutor’s Office, Freehold police and other community leaders, including the grandmother of the women. As always, dialogue will continue, and suggestions from the various groups will be considered. Improvement, where necessary, will be made."

The mayor urged that cool heads prevail in the matter.

"Polarization and divisiveness are never appropriate or helpful," Wilson said. "We ask for cooperation in ferreting out the truth and resolving the issues. Threats of violence in our streets will not be tolerated. It is easy to throw stones; it is more difficult to work toward solutions. We are willing to work."