N.J. investigation ends with no charges against Wasser

Staff Writer

By dave benjamin

N.J. investigation ends with
no charges against Wasser


James WasserJames Wasser

The state Attorney General’s Office has closed an investigation into allegations surrounding Freehold Regional High School District Superinten-dent of Schools James Wasser without bringing any charges against the district’s top administrator.

An Aug. 9 letter from Susan Kase, deputy attorney general, New Jersey Department of Law and Public Safety, to John T. Mullaney Jr., the attorney representing Wasser, said, "The investigation by my office involving Mr. Wasser has been closed."

Kase did not respond to telephone messages requesting comment in relation to the statement made by her office.

More than two years ago, an anonymous letter sent to district Board of Education members and law enforcement authorities alleged that Wasser had used district employees to make repairs to his home and had used materials that had been paid for by the district.

In comments to the News Transcript following the receipt of Kase’s letter, Mullaney said, "The state conducted their complete, thorough investigation, and as a result of that, they elected to close the file, and that’s what they’ve advised us. The matter is now terminated, and Mr. Wasser is going about his business as superintendent. Hopefully, this entire matter will be put behind him and all other people associated with the district, because it has been divisive."

Mullaney reiterated that the entire investigation that was sent to the Attorney general’s office was closed.

"There never were charges," the attorney said. "There were anonymous letters and many allegations. All of the anonymous letters and allegations were investigated and the matter is closed without any charges. Anybody can make allegations. It’s one thing to allege and it’s another to prove. It’s finished. It’s done."

After the letter from the attorney general’s office was read at the Aug. 13 meeting of the school board, Wasser said, "My family and I have experienced tremendous pain for the past three years dealing with these vicious, slanderous and libelous allegations.

"We are pleased that this difficult episode is now over. This has been very hard on my wife, children and parents. I appreciate very much their ongoing support and (the support of) those colleagues who continued to offer their best efforts to the students in our high schools throughout this period."

Wasser said he can now look forward to focusing his complete attention on providing the best educational opportunities to students in Western Monmouth County.

"We have excellent teachers, a dedicated board and supportive parents and together we can achieve more," said the superintendent.

Board President Patricia Horvath of Manalapan said, "The case is closed and I’m sure it’s a relief for everyone involved." Horvath said the board itself was never involved in the matter and was not privy to any of the information surrounding the investigation.

The district is comprised of high schools in Colts Neck, Freehold Borough, Freehold Township, Howell, Manalapan and Marlboro. In addition to those towns, Farmingdale and Englishtown are constituent municipalities. District administrators expect enrollment at the six schools to approach 10,000 students in the 2001-02 school year.