Arts Council plans for site still undecided

Trustees delay decision on seeking to expand at Princeton site or moving to Hopewell Township.

By: Jennifer Potash
   The Arts Council of Princeton won’t make a decision on its future location for another couple of weeks.
   The organization’s trustees met Thursday night at Chairwoman Suzanne Goldenson’s residence in Princeton Township and "decided to order our options," said Peter Bienstock, a trustee and chairman of the capital campaign for the expansion project.
   The vote was unanimous, he said.
   "It’s something everyone feels passionately about," he said, following the private meeting.
   Mr. Bienstock previously said he expected a decision Thursday night. Instead, he said after the meeting, the board will seek information from architects, engineers and lawyers.
   "There are certain real-world issues we need to resolve," he said. "In two weeks, the questions should be resolved and we will know which is the most effective location."
   Two options are under consideration by the trustees — expanding The Arts Council’s present location on Witherspoon Street and acquiring a converted farmhouse located on Lucent Technologies property on Carter Road in Hopewell Township.
   Cost is a major factor in the decision, Mr. Bienstock said.
   The original expansion plan was estimated at $3.5 million but that cost has escalated to about $6 million, he said. The Arts Council has raised about $3.8 million for the expansion thus far.
   Board members declined to comment on the meeting.
   One board member did say she was "happy" with Thursday’s decision.
   Should The Arts Council choose to stay at 102 Witherspoon St. and proceed with the expansion plan, the organization would need to go back to the Regional Planning Board of Princeton for approvals.
   If requested by The Arts Council, the Subdivision Committee of the Planning Board could consider another review of an application if "substantive changes" have been made, Mr. Bienstock has said.
   Princeton Regional Planning Director Lee Solow said The Arts Council has been given until mid-September to resubmit the plans to the Subdivision Committee. If The Arts Council misses that deadline, it could file a new application and request a rehearing from the Planning Board, Mr. Solow said.
   Should The Arts Council choose the Hopewell site, the Witherspoon building would likely revert back to the municipality.
   Princeton Borough sold the building, which had been a YMCA and a community center for the John-Witherspoon neighborhood, to The Arts Council in 1996 for $110,000.
   The building requires extensive renovation to comply with the Americans with Disabilities Act. The Borough Council’s conditions for the sale included that the building was to be used by The Arts Council or another nonprofit community group for a public purpose. If the building was not used accordingly, it would revert back to the borough.
   Senior housing, a youth center or another community center have been suggested as possible uses for the site.
   The Planning Board voted 6-5 in December to reject The Arts Council’s expansion application, following lengthy public hearing and testimony from neighbors in the John-Witherspoon neighborhood opposing the project.
   The expansion plans called for an 11,000-square-foot addition. The new complex would have comprised 19,700 square feet — doubling the current space.