Upper Freehold school project sent to state

The district is hoping for aid to fund 30% of the cost of its $19.6 million construction program.

By: Mark Moffa
   UPPER FREEHOLD — The school board voted unanimously to send its $19.6 million school construction project to the state.
   "It was a busy day," Superintendent Robert Connelly said Sept. 6 after the board approved the plan. He said he was planning to travel to the state Department of Education office the next day to submit the plans.
   Friday was the state’s deadline for school districts to apply for school construction aid for the Dec. 11 referendum date. The state is offering billions of dollars to school districts statewide to help fund school construction and renovation projects.
   The state establishes certain dates on which districts can present ballot questions to their voters, asking for approval on bond questions for school construction projects.
   Upper Freehold is expecting the state to fund about 30 percent of its project. If that happens, taxpayers will have to pay about $13.5 million, which ultimately would amount to a tax increase of about 5 percent. The board plans to phase in the increase over three years.
   The district will know next month exactly how much state aid it will receive.
   Planned additions to the high school include a new entrance and lobby near a paved 300-space student parking lot. The lobby would lead into a new gymnasium, which would sit near the present gym.
   The existing main entrance and office area would become classroom space and a new main entrance would be created with offices and new classrooms hiding much of the current exterior.
   The seating in the auditorium would be replaced under the current plan, and the room would be air conditioned. The library would be transformed into a media center. New practice fields and a new track are planned as well.
   In addition, two classrooms and two resource rooms will be added to the annex building, which will become home to fifth- and sixth-grade students.
   New roofs will be installed on the schools, too.
   "The district is experiencing the start of a substantial increase in enrollment as a result of new families moving into existing homes in Allentown Borough, and new families moving into the developments that are being completed in Upper Freehold and in Millstone," Dr. Connelly wrote in an address he drafted to deliver to the district’s staff last week.
"We anticipated being out of classroom space by next September," he wrote. "Well, as you know, the first wave of the tsunami is hitting the primary grades, and we are out of space today."
   Dr. Connelly presented the district’s plan to the Strategic Planning Council on Sept. 5.
   The 50-member planning council, composed of teachers, parents, administrators, and representatives from Allentown and Millstone, was formed last year to help the district plan for the future.
   Dr. Connelly said the council identified improvement of school facilities as the district’s number one priority.
   "They were pleased that the board listened to them," he said.
   The superintendent added that public information sessions on the plan will be scheduled for the near future.