Sports games provide good diversion

HHS teams return to action with heavy hearts

By: Rudy Brandl
   Covering sports isn’t any easier than playing the games at a time like this. Yet, even in the wake of a national tragedy, we must all move on.
   I respect the National Football League and Major League Baseball for postponing all action through last weekend. At the same time, I won’t condemn the local high schools for resuming play a few days after one of the bloodiest days in American history.
   Every individual person and organization has its own way of dealing with this crisis. Some people sit in front of the TV, while others may choose to take a long jog to clear their head. We don’t have the right to pass judgment and let’s not waste time trying. Instead, let’s focus on healing, recovery, support and getting things back to normal.
   Area high schools called off all games and practices on the day of the attack. Some resumed their regular schedule the following day, while others waited until Thursday. A few football games were moved up a day to allow for an additional day of preparation.
   Most athletes felt it was a good idea to get back to work. Attending practice or playing a game became a welcome distraction from staring at the horrifying images on television.
   "I’m glad we’re out here," Hillsborough High junior field hockey player Lauren Kloss said after Saturday’s game vs. Hunterdon Central. "The only thing that makes me feel better right now is playing field hockey. I’m glad that we bounced back. It shows that we’re strong."
   It seemed strange that while all professional sports organizations canceled their events, the high schools were still playing soccer, field hockey, tennis and football.
   The NJSIAA, the governing body that runs high school sports in the state, left those decisions to the individual schools and most resumed normal schedules by Thursday. The rainy Friday forced some postponements, but Saturday turned out to be a busy day in the world of high school sports.
   "We have to go on," Hillsborough High athletic director Rocky Forte said. "It’s an outlet for the kids as long as it’s put in the proper perspective. You mourn and you pray for the people, but the kids need to go on. We all have to go on."
   The NFL didn’t want to repeat its 1963 mistake when it allowed a full slate of games to be played just two days after President John F. Kennedy was killed. Major League Baseball, which had intended to resume play over the weekend after taking three days off, followed the NFL’s lead and halted all action until Monday.
   Unfortunately, most of us had to return to work much sooner. That includes doctors, lawyers, teachers and yes, journalists.
   Making calls to various coaches and athletes last week reminded me of how I felt two years ago when Hurricane Floyd ravaged Central Jersey. You never know if someone you’re calling or trying to interview has somehow been affected by the disaster.
   Was that score really that important? Is the correct spelling of that long last name really such a big deal? No, but such bits of information are part of the job.
   We can no longer take our freedom and security for granted. Last week’s horrible terrorist attack on our country proved that. You just never know what’s going to happen when you get up each morning.
   Let’s be thankful we still have athletics as a form of enjoyment, entertainment and emotional release. While it’s appropriate to keep the games in their proper context out of respect for much more important issues, it’s not necessarily a bad idea to take a little break from the harsh reality of this brutal situation.