Decisions about agency are put on hold

Council will wait at least another month

By:Vanessa S. Holt
   FLORENCE — The Township Council will probably wait at least another month before making any decisions about the future of the Florence Township Redevelopment Agency, said Mayor Michael Muchowski.
   Mayor Muchowski said at the Oct. 3 Township Council meeting that he did not expect formal action regarding the agency within the next several weeks, as there are still "significant issues" that need to be discussed.
   The state Department of Community Affairs (DCA) informed the township last month that the Florence Township Redevelopment Agency had never registered with the Local Finance Board within the DCA when the agency was formed in 1999 to oversee the redevelopment of the former Roebling Steel Mill site.
   The Roebling Steel Mill site was declared a Superfund site by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency in 1981 because of extensive soil contamination and deemed one of the 10 worst sites in the nation.
   The Redevelopment Agency took control of the site after securing its condemnation this year.
   Mayor Muchowski said he believes the council should take the time to make the "best, most sound decision" possible.
   Three out of five Township Council seats will be available in the Nov. 6 election. Because the makeup of the council could change after the November election, the input of any new members will be sought as well, said Mayor Muchowski.
   "When something occurs around election time we invite new officials to be part of the decision-making process," said Mayor Muchowski. "We want to start the new year on the right foot; we don’t want to create turmoil."
   The Florence Township Redevelopment Agency has put its meetings on hold until the township is able to decide whether the agency will need to be dissolved, reappointed or whether some other action will be necessary.