Senate hopeful called to duty

Gallagher is a U.S. Naval Reservist

By:Vanessa S. Holt
   FLORENCE — Lou Gallagher, a Florence resident and Democratic candidate for state Senate in the 7th District, was called to active duty by the U.S. Naval Reserves last week and departed Sunday.
   "Today is not a day for politics, but I want to reassure you all that the campaign will continue on in my absence," said Mr. Gallagher in a statement on Saturday.
   He announced that his wife, Karen, would act as his surrogate at debates and forums in his absence, beginning with a debate scheduled Oct. 11 at 7 p.m. at Holy Cross High School in Delran.
   Mr. Gallagher thanked his opponent in the race, Sen. Diane Allen, for a statement she issued last week, wishing him well in his call to duty.
   "That has meant a lot to me and my family," he said.
   He also thanked U.S. Sen. Jon Corzine (D-NJ) and Democratic nominee for governor Jim McGreevey, who offered to assist with the Gallagher campaign while he is on active duty.
   Michael Muller, Mr. Gallagher’s campaign manager, said Mr. Gallagher had previously reported for a two-week training assignment during the course of his campaign, but the call to active duty had come on short notice Oct. 4.
   Mr. Gallagher entered the Navy when he was 19 and served as a Navy SEAL in Central America in the early 1980s and Operation Desert Storm in the Persian Gulf.
   "It’s something we’d been accustomed to, but we never thought it would become a centerpiece of the campaign," said Mr. Muller. "We’ve been doing the best we can to move forward."
   If elected, Mr. Gallagher would not need to be physically present at a swearing-in ceremony, said Mr. Muller.
   "State statute says that you cannot lose public office based on service in the military," he said.
   Ms. Gallagher said Monday that her husband had departed for duty on Sunday to an unknown location. The whirlwind of activity over the past week had not yet sunk in, she said.
   Ms. Gallagher said she would do whatever was necessary to carry on the campaign.
   "He is a patriot," she said. "He feels very strongly about this. If there’s something he can do, he wants to do it."
   The Gallaghers have three children, Louie, 16; Laura, 10, and Ryan, 2. Ms. Gallagher said the children were handling the situation well.
   "The kids are okay with it, although it’s hard for the younger ones to understand," she said. "My son (Louie) is a little older and more aware of what’s going on."
   "We’re praying for him, we’re very proud of him," said Mr. Gallagher’s father, Lou Gallagher, Sr., also a Florence resident. "There has been an outpouring of support from the community."
   Mr. Gallagher said about 150 attended a brief press conference held at the township municipal building on Saturday morning.
   "We hope he will be returning soon," he said.