Monroe High School to reopen Monday

The school, closed Oct. 18 when 14 staff members suffered dizziness, headaches and high blood-pressure readings, passed more than a week of tests by government and private environmental agencies.

By: Al Wicklund
   MONROE — Testing at Monroe Township High School has found nothing that will keep the school from reopening Monday.
   The school, closed Oct. 18 when 14 staff members suffered dizziness, headaches and high blood-pressure readings, passed more than a week of tests by government and private environmental agencies.
   Superintendent Ralph Ferrie said Thursday the high school will open Monday on a two-hour delayed schedule. The high school normally opens for students at 7:30 a.m.
   Dr. Ferrie stressed that only the high school will have a delayed opening. He said all other schools in the district will open at their regular times.
   Sharon Vogel, a district administrative assistant, said the high school will continue to be tested next week.
   "The numbers (in tests) can change when there are people in the building. The environmental testers don’t expect a change, but it’s best to continue to monitor the school," Ms. Vogel said.
   She said some ventilators on the roof are being retrofitted this week; the acid neutralization pit that handles liquid laboratory waste has been cleaned and relined with limestone; and carpeting in the second-floor halls, two small classrooms and the main office is being removed, with the coverage of a containment process to keep dust and other debris from spreading through the school.
   Dr. Ferrie told an audience of about 150 at Monday’s Board of Education meeting that there had been previous reports of illness, but they had affected a handful of people in one area. On Oct. 28, the numbers of people went to double digits and the afflicted teachers were in different parts of the school.
   Previous reports of illness, on Oct. 4 and 10, had been in one area, the guidance offices, and limited to three persons each time. The guidance people had been moved to another part of the building after the Oct. 10 incident, he said.
   He said, in addition to air testing, investigators at the school have taken mold samples, tested water, cleaned the catch-pit that traps and holds chemicals from the school’s laboratories.
   "We’re pulling up carpets in the hallways. We can be sure the halls will have clean, dry cement," he said with a smile.
   School board President Joseph Homki said Monday the board’s concern is for the safety of the high school’s students and staff members.
   Keeping the school closed until Monday gave the district time to conduct tests and survey the high school staff.
   At Monday’s meeting, Mary Jo Giancola, Parent Teacher Organization president, asked why the board had let the situation go so long.
   "I was dismayed. This could have been avoided. We expect future concerns will be addressed more promptly," Ms. Giancola said.
   She complimented Dr. Ferrie, who has been Monroe’s superintendent for two months, for his response to the situation.
   Caren Castaldo, president of the Monroe Township Education Association, the staff union, and a member of the Task Force that is working with the superintendent on the problem, said Dr. Ferrie has been doing the right things.
   "It’s the first time I’ve been on the front line," Ms. Castaldo said.
   Dr. Ferrie said a number of environmental testing and safety agencies have been used, among them the Middlesex County Hazardous Materials unit, the federal Occupational Health and Safety Administration and Aircom and RK Occupational and Environmental Analysis, Inc., which tested air in the building. Indoor Environmental Technology of Wilmington, Del., is cleaning all air conditioning units.
   Assistant Superintendent Gail Brooks said the school district’s hotline for the situation, (732) 521-1955, had 250 calls Monday.