By: Jeff Milgram
After three years, Opera Festival of New Jersey and its general director, Karen Tiller, have parted company.
Her position has been divided in two, and Opera Festival, based at McCarter Theatre, is expected to announce the hiring of a new executive director and artistic director today, said Meg Frantz, director of marketing and public relations.
"She felt it was time to move on to different activities," Ms. Frantz said of Ms. Tiller.
Ms. Frantz declined to name the new appointments Thursday because contracts had not yet been signed.
Ms. Frantz said Ms. Tiller left the highly regarded Opera Festival under amicable conditions. She declined to comment on reports that Ms. Tiller had been asked to leave.
"I can’t comment on that," she said.
Ms. Tiller could not be reached for comment.
Asked about Opera Festival’s financial condition, Ms. Frantz said, "Our finances are entering a new period."
She also pointed out that the company is now finishing up scheduling for its 2002 season.
Opera Festival will be entering its 19th season this summer. The company usually puts on three to four productions each summer, yielding a calendar of about 15 performances. Last year, it produced five different operas.
For most of its history, Opera Festival performed in the Kirby Arts Center at The Lawrenceville School. Four years ago, it moved to McCarter Theatre.
Opera Festival of New Jersey is ranked among the nation’s important summer producers of traditional operas as well as contemporary operas. Over the years, the company has won widespread praise for fresh looks at familiar operas and for its casting of rising young singers.
Opera Festival also presents lectures, pre-opera talks, galas and children’s workshops.

