Ford Ave. redevelopment proposals sought

Boro seeks uses such as senior housing, town homes, retail

By sandi carpello
Staff Writer

Ford Ave. redevelopment proposals sought

Boro seeks uses such as senior housing, town homes, retail

By sandi carpello

Staff Writer

After months of discussions, the Ford Avenue Redevelopment Agency has taken a major step in its effort to redevelop the site of the former Michelin tire factory in Milltown.

On Friday, the seven-member agency, which was appointed by the Borough Council to handle redeveloping the Ford Avenue site, issued a request for proposals from potential developers. The agency hopes to choose a developer for the site by late January, according to Anthony Zarillo, agency chairman

The 19.5-acre site, much of which has fallen into disrepair, is the former location of the Michelin Tire Co. and is presently only partly occupied by some light-industrial businesses. Officials said the site’s buildings are owned by three separate parties, who officials hope will be willing to work with the borough and any potential developers in selling their properties so they can be redeveloped.

The redevelopment agency hopes to find a developer willing to transform what members believe is a blighted area that is not producing enough tax revenue. They also hope to bring in a use that will be in keeping with Milltown’s "small-town character," Zarillo said.

The agency will hold a mandatory proposal conference for potential developers Sept. 10. The agency is then planning a site visitation on Oct. 16 and will accept bids from developers in December and January.

On Jan. 14, agency members plan to select a proposal and begin negotiations.

In seeking developers and looking at bids, the agency will evaluate the qualifications of potential developers on the basis of their financial strength and capacity, Zarillo said. Four or five developers have already expressed interest in redeveloping the property, he said.

"Every indication so far in our contacts and discussions with potential developers is that they are very enthused about this. They think this is an ideal site for redevelopment," the chairman said, noting that talks been centering around making Ford Avenue into a town center that can also benefit existing businesses in the Main Street area.

Zarillo said general zoning approved by the council allows for a mix of residential, commercial and office uses on the property. It does not permit light-industrial uses.

"One thing we’re looking for is a senior citizens complex," he said, noting that upscale town homes without age restrictions is also a possibility. He said the agency would also like to see "a nice upscale restaurant" and professional offices to house law firms or accountants, for example.

Borough Councilman and agency member Gerard Cappella said that the Ford Avenue site is a capital location for potential developers. The site is located directly behind Mill Pond Park, which itself is about to undergo a $1.3 million improvement project, he said.

The agency and potential developers hope to meet with the property owners to discuss the acquisitions of their properties, Zarillo said, noting that they can be purchased through negotiations or, as a last resort, through condemnation proceedings in court — something that he said "would be costly to us and the seller."

He said the business owners have been cooperative in that they have allowed appraisers hired by the redevelopment agency to go on the property, and they have also given approval for an environmental evaluation of the site.

Zarillo said he is optimistic that this spirit of cooperation will continue, and that the various parties will be able to negotiate "a reasonable price" for the properties.

At an agency meeting on Aug. 13, Zarillo told residents who live near the site that new homes would not be included in the redevelopment plan. The agency intends to provide a buffer area between the residences and the redevelopment area, he said.

Though some officials believe construction would not begin for at least 18 months or two years, agency engineer John Stefani, of CME Associates, Howell, said redevelopment could begin as early as a year from now.

In the meantime, the agency is having the site appraised and will also determine the extent of environmental contamination on the site and plan a means of remediation. He said any costs involved with the remediation could be aided with state and federal grants.

Attorney David B. Himelman, Iselin, noted that the borough is receiving funding for the project from the Middlesex County Improvement Authority. The funding is a "tremendous help to the agency," said Himelman.

"We are going to minimize the cost (to the Borough of Milltown)," Zarillo said. "We hope it will be as close to zero as it possibly can be."

Any expense to borough taxpayers, he said, could be seen as an investment that will be returned to the borough in the form of future tax revenue generated on the property.