Three charged in string of August car burglaries

By Sandi carpello
Staff Writer

By Sandi carpello
Staff Writer

MONROE — Police arrested three local men last week and charged them in the Aug. 8 burglaries of 23 automobiles parked in the Heritage Chase housing development off Buckelew Avenue.

Anthony Barbieri, 19, of Monmouth Road in Monroe, and Joseph Szymczak, 18, and Michael Smith, 18, both of Jamesburg, were arrested Aug. 20 by township police on charges of burglary and theft.

In apprehending the three men, police were acting on information they received indicating these individuals were involved in the burglaries, according to Detective Richard Stemming.

The three suspects are accused of taking miscellaneous items from vehicles that were parked in front of 18 residences, including stereo systems, compact discs, money, radar detectors, personal papers and cassette tapes. Police said they believe the men intended to sell the stolen property.

Police recovered the stolen property from the three individuals, but those items had not yet been returned to the owners, Stemming said on Monday.

The burglaries occurred during the late night hours of Aug. 8 and early the next morning, police said. The majority of the vehicles that were burglarized had been left unlocked by their owners, police said, but a few vehicles were forced open during the burglaries.

The thefts took place on four streets in the development — Talmadge Way, Regent Drive, Drummond Way and Evans Way.

Police Sgt. Lawrence J. Linke has said he could remember two other instances in the past eight years where such a significant number of cars experienced a wave of burglaries. He said the suspects were apprehended in both cases.

The three individuals, who police said have no prior record, were detained at the Middlesex County Adult Corrections Center in lieu of $35,000 bail.

Stemming made the arrest along with Detective Peter Piro Jr.