New locations eyed
for two cell towers
By Sandi carpello
Staff Writer
MONROE — Hearing the relentless protests of residents, local officials are pointing AT&T Wireless toward alternate sites for wireless antenna placement.
The second hearing on the company’s proposals to place six cellular antennas on top of existing water towers on Buckelew Avenue and Half Acre Road, which was originally scheduled for a Zoning Board of Adjustment meeting earlier this week, has been postponed to Nov. 26.
An estimated 200 residents, primarily from the Heritage Chase and Highlands residential developments, attended a September zoning board meeting to oppose the AT&T applications. Residents said the placement of antennas in residential areas poses a health risk to the community, is not aesthetically pleasing and will decrease the values of their homes.
Studies performed by the Federal Communications Commission have indicated that the amount of radiation emitted from cell towers is minuscule, posing no health threat to communities. The Telecommunications Act of 1996 supports this belief, prohibiting governing bodies to deny cellular companies’ permission to construct antennas based on health reasons.
The Monroe Utility Authority (MUA) presently has contracts with cellular providers AT&T and OmniPoint for the leasing of space on public property.
Charlie Case of the MUA said the township has directed AT&T Wireless to two alternate sites that would not be in close proximity to a residential neighborhood.
"We try to respond to our customers’ needs," Case said.
The two alternate sites include an area in Industrial Park in which the wireless company would have to construct a monopole and a property on Spotswood Englishtown Road.
AT&T Wireless attorney Judy Babinski, of Pitney, Hardin, Kipp, and Szuch, Morristown, said Friday that the cellular company would be filing applications on the two new sites in the near future. However, the company will continue to keep the previous applications active.
Case said AT&T would most likely file the two new applications in lieu of the previous applications.
Township resident Andrea Ryan, who has been leading the residents’ protest, said she appreciates the efforts of the township officials.
"It is our understanding that our town officials want to accommodate the needs and concerns of the townspeople. … When all parties are willing to work on an amicable solution, one can usually be found," said Ryan, who has been researching the effects of cell towers on communities and writing letters to elected officials.
"These efforts would not have been made if it were not for such a great team of residents and the wonderful people of Monroe Township," she said.

