2002: A year of dramatic change for Manville

Year in review

By:John Patten
   Sometimes, the changes in a community are small and almost unnoticeable, but over the past 12 months some important changes occurred in Manville that will continue to affect the news in the coming year.
   Looking back over the year can help gain a fresh perspective on the events. Here is our year-end review of events in Manville as reported in the Manville News.

Special visitors

   Manville hosted a number of guests in 2002.
   U.S. Secretary of Veterans Affairs Anthony Principi outlined the Bush administration’s plans for veterans benefits at a Feb. 11 meeting with about 80 local veterans at Veterans of Foreign Wars Post 2290.
   Mr. Principi announced the federal budget for 2002 would increase spending on veterans by $6.1 billion, including a huge increase in spending on health care benefits for veterans.
   On May 24, several dozen bicycle racers zipped around a six-tenths mile circuit around Weston School in a new Memorial Day Weekend event that will kick off the annual Tour of Somerville races each year.
   The race attracted teams of racers representing the U.S armed forces, as well as international teams.
   Manville observers lined up along the route to cheer the racers. Afterward, many said they look forward to the 2003 competition.
   On June 13, Manville police received notice of the borough’s most unusual visitor of the year — a black bear cub in the White Avenue yard of Mike Resetar.
   Police kept a watchful eye on the bear, until state Fish and Wildlife officials could tranquilize and remove the animal. State officials noted the young bear had wandered over nearly one-third of the state and speculated he was headed for the Pinelands.
   Dominick Street resident Jim O’Reilly Jr. called it "a dream come true" when he met President George W. Bush during a fund-raiser for U.S. Rep. Mike Ferguson, R–N.J., in Newark on June 24.
   Mr. O’Reilly, who gained national attention after he began playing the "Star-Spangled Banner" on his trumpet each night outside his home following the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks, was invited to perform for the president.
   On July 23, Gov. James E. McGreevey sat on Donna Tancordo’s porch and listened to the troubles that Hurricane Floyd had caused her. After hearing about her plight — and that of dozens of other Manville families — he reinstated $2.32 million in aid for the borough.
Big changes in schools

   For the first time in 17 years, Manville schools opened in 2002 without Dr. Francis X. Heelen leading the district.
   Dr. Heelen announced Jan. 8 he would retire at the end of the 2001-2002 school year, signaling big changes were imminent in the schools.
   In an interview before leaving his post, Dr. Heelen railed against laws that he said placed the burden for funding Manville schools squarely on homeowners’ shoulders.
   "That’s the basic outrage," he said. "It’s (Manville) a community that the state doesn’t give enough aid to and it should give more aid to."
   The school board, after interviewing five candidates for the superintendent position, hired Dr. Donald Burkhardt on July 1.
   Dr. Burkhardt had been employed by the Bethlehem Township School District, a K-6 district, and was a principal in Dunellen before taking over in Manville. His salary was set at $125,000 annually, topping Dr. Heelen’s former superintendent’s salary by $2,000.
   Just two weeks after Dr. Heelen announced his retirement, Manville voters approved the district’s $2.3 million school repair referendum. With 830 voters casting ballots, the referendum passed by a 657-173 margin.
   Much of referendum-funded repair work was completed over the summer. Students returning to Weston School in September found new floors in the classrooms. Manville High School students were given new lockers, and new bleachers and floors were installed in the school gym. Roofing and window replacements are also in store for all Manville schools.
   But voters’ generosity didn’t carry the district’s proposed $13.5 million budget, which failed by a vote of 445-288 on April 16. The Borough Council recommended $342,000 in cuts to the school budget.
   Also in April, voters elected Michael Impellizeri to the board, and returned Dorothy Bradley for another term by a one-vote margin over Joseph Morella.
   After agreeing to new contract terms in early May, MHS Principal Terrance Fitzpatrick tendered his resignation in June, and was replaced by Dr. Rodney Logan, a former vice-principal at Allentown High School.
   The school board was active throughout the year, changing many policies in response to concerns over student discipline. Among the changes were policies setting dress codes, behavior codes, an anti-bullying policy, and attendance rules.
center>Budget woes plague council
   The Borough Council faced tough challenges in balancing the borough’s finances in 2002.
   Shortly after welcoming Republican Sue Asher to the council on Jan. 5, the council received word that then-Acting Gov. Donald DiFrancesco had reduced a $2 million flood aid package by $600,000. Compounding the budget problems was Governor McGreevey’s subsequent plan to eliminate the remaining $1.4 million from the flood aid Feb. 11.
   Despite pleas to the governor by Mayor Angelo Corradino, the borough was forced to slash spending — and jobs. Five Manville police officers were laid off, three Public Works Department positions and two secretarial jobs in the Municipal Complex were left open to cut $900,000 from the budget.
   The Borough Council approved a trimmed down $10.1 million budget at its July 22 meeting, raising the borough tax rate by 4 cents to 67 cents per $100 assessed value.
   But money wasn’t the council’s only problem in 2002. Borough officials also had to contend with the ongoing EPA Superfund cleanup of creosote in the Claremont area, and a federal plan to transport nuclear waste through Manville.
   Mayor Corradino formed a coalition of area mayors to battle the nuclear waste transportation plan, and borough officials received word Sept. 16 that funding cuts for the federal Superfund program would not affect the cleanup project in Manville.
   Borough Council members also worked on the town’s ongoing revitalization efforts. A project to offer financial help for improved facades on Main Street businesses was launched after the borough received a $15,000 grant from Somerset County.
   Manville’s preparations in the event of another dangerous flood, such as the one caused by Hurricane Floyd, continued through 2002. A new siren system was installed and underwent a series of tests to keep residents forewarned, and Manville police added and tested rescue equipment.
   In November, voters returned Democrats Senga Allen and Tom Weiss to the council.
Gluch, Berezansky will be missed

   The year 2002 saw the deaths of two local leaders — Nicholas Berezansky on March 31 and Ted Gluch Sr. on Sept. 20.
   Mr. Berezansky, 80, had been a longtime member of Manville’s Rescue Squad, which he helped found after returning from duty in the U.S. Marines during World War II.
   In addition to his lifesaving work with the squad, Mr. Berezansky taught many Manville youngsters how to swim safely, as well as how to rescue those that couldn’t as an instructor for the American Red Cross.
   Mr. Berezansky also served as the borough’s Emergency Management Coordinator, and was a member of the local Knights of Columbus, Sacred Heart Church and the American Legion.
   Mr. Gluch, 75, found his place helping Manville residents serving in the borough’s Police Department and Fire Department. He joined the Police Department after serving in the U.S. Army during the war, rising to the rank of sergeant before his 1981 retirement.
   He was also active in the Manville Fire Department, VFW, Knights of Columbus and Sacred Heart Church.