Mall may face wrecking ball

Kendall Park merchants leery of reconstruction plan

By: Sharlee Joy DiMenichi
   Owners of the Kendall Park Shopping Center plan to tear down the more than 40-year-old structure and build a larger mall in the coming year, according to the mall’s leasing agent.
   But those plans remain in the design phase and have not been submitted to the township Planning Department for approval by either the Planning Board or Zoning Board of Adjustment.
   And while business owners in the shopping center say they have been hearing rumors of the demolition plan, they say they have yet to be notified by mall management and are concerned about the future of their businesses.
   James Nuckle of ILKP, owner of the center, did not return calls.
   The center, built in 1958 as part of the Kendall Park development, currently has about 55,000 square feet of retail space in two buildings on 11 acres. It has been in a state of transition for several years, with only seven of the mall’s 17 storefronts occupied. The Kendall Park Cinemas, a seven-screen movie theater that had been located in a free-standing structure on the mall property, closed in September 1999 and remains vacant. Since then, the Eckerd Pharmacy, Tomp’s Hardware and Holiday Bake Shop, an original tennant, also have closed.
   Traces of former businesses still mark the stripped walls and cracked windows of some of the empty storefronts and graffiti can be found, as well. "I shall build a more peaceful world," reads part of a student’s oath written in black on the stripped wall of what used to be a martial arts studio. An empty trophy case with a deep crack in its glass side stands across the room.
   "Store has less than $30 in register," reads a notice on the L-shaped counter of the former Tomp’s Hardware.
   ILKP, owner of the center, has approval from the township to add about 41,000 square feet to the center, to upgrade its façade and expand its parking.
   However, the mall’s leasing agent said Friday that IKLP plans to tear down two buildings and rebuild from scratch. Ted Kraus, president of TKO of Mercerville said ILKP has not filed an application with the township for the new plan, which is still being drafted. He said he expects the six-month project to begin between March and May of 2003.
   Mr. Kraus said the new center would be 96,000 square feet and would have approximately 500 parking places.
   Mr. Kraus said merchants in the center have been told of the plans and would have the option to return once the mall is reconstructed. Business owners will not have to pay rent during the time they cannot operate due to construction, Mr. Kraus said.
   "Most of them are staying and they’ll come back when it’s rebuilt," Mr. Kraus said.
   However, business owners at the mall said Friday they had heard rumors that the mall would be torn down, but have not been directly notified by management.
   "He doesn’t talk to any of his tenants," said Sharon Kenia, a manager at Joe’s Barber Shop.
   Ms. Kenia said uncertainty about the mall’s future has merchants worried.
   "We all have concerns because we don’t know if we’re going to get kicked out," Ms. Kenia said.
   The demolition plans might severely harm businesses in the mall and merchants should be reimbursed by management for any lost business that occurs, said Rick Zalasin, owner of Kleen and Dri Laundromat and cleaners.
   "He should pay me for lost income, whatever I would make in those six months," he said.
   Vinnie Mattera, owner of Kendall Park Pizzeria and Restaurant, said he is concerned that the state of the mall will cause him to lose his business. He has one more year left on his lease and he is not sure what will happen then.
   "I won’t have a chance at all to sell because nobody will buy a business without a lease," he said.