A neighbor of the proposed center has not given permission to have a row of seven bushes on her property removed to create sight clearance when exiting the project.
By: Linda Seida
LAMBERTVILLE Testimony given by a traffic expert on behalf of High Point, a proposed senior housing development on Route 518, brought the Jan. 30 meeting of the Zoning Board of Adjustment to a screeching halt when it became evident her presentation was not based on fact.
The problem occurred when Elizabeth Oltman, a traffic engineer with the Clinton firm of Schoor DePalma, testified a vehicle exiting the proposed hilltop housing center’s driveway would have 445 feet of sight clearance when looking to the right, downhill. That figure, however, would only be accurate if a row of seven forsythia bushes on an adjoining property were moved.
Neighbor Karen Martin never gave permission to move the bushes, which she later said sprout to 8 to 10 feet each year after a hard pruning. When it came to light she had not given permission to move the bushes, and the implication sank in the testimony was inaccurate, the room fell totally silent for at least a solid five seconds.
One board member broke the silence by asking in a disbelieving voice, "Was somebody planning on telling us?"
Board President David Moraski chastised the traffic engineer.
"I don’t appreciate testimony whether it’s by omission or commission that’s inaccurate," he said.
Ms. Oltman acknowledged her error. So, too, did Christiana Foglio, president of the development firm, Community Investment Strategies of Bordentown.
"I apologize on behalf of my company," said Ms. Foglio, who in the past chaired the Council on Affordable Housing and headed New Jersey Housing and Mortgage Financing.
"It’s done. We’ve said what we’ve said and move forward from here," Mr. Moraski replied before ending the meeting.
Testimony will continue Feb. 27.
Earlier in January, neighbors expressed concern about an increase in the road’s already heavy traffic as well as the possibility of speeding drivers.
They repeated these concerns at the Jan. 30 meeting. Some remained unconvinced by the expert testimony that cited a traffic study and claimed exiting and entering the development’s driveway would be safe and efficient. The study also concluded no left-turn lane would be needed.
"We’re doing everything within our power to make this as safe as possible, and I feel we’ve done that," Ms. Oltman said.
The traffic study was performed Sept. 19-26, according to Ms. Oltman. Peak traffic hours studied were 7:30 to 8:30 a.m. and 5 to 6 p.m. The off-peak hours of 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. and after 8 p.m. also were looked at.
Residents who live along Route 518 remained skeptical of the road’s safety. They continued to question whether additional traffic generated by the housing facility would make the situation worse, and they wanted to know if the actual speeds of vehicles were noted.
"We did not record the actual speeds of the vehicles on Brunswick Avenue," Ms. Oltman acknowledged.
One resident murmured to himself, "You don’t live on the hill. We live on the hill. We know what the situation is."
Ms. Martin questioned the safety on summer days, rather than the September days monitored by the study.
"In summer the traffic on 518 is atrocious," she said.
She cited the number of large trucks who barrel up behind her as she slows her vehicle when trying to enter her driveway.
"It’s a major, major concern there," she said.
Neighbors also questioned whether the facility would have an adequate number of parking spaces. Sixty-seven spaces are planned for the 87-unit facility. Ten of the units would have two bedrooms, and the remainder will have one bedroom.
Neighbors questioned what would happen if each of the facility’s residents owned a car. Also, they wanted to know where visitors would park.
"The average age of residents is 72 years old, and most come to the facility hoping not to drive," Ms. Foglio said, citing their age and the high cost of insurance. Also, the development plans to offer a shuttle service, an amenity she claimed would cut down on the need for seniors to drive their own cars.
Ms. Foglio didn’t see visitors as a problem.
"I wish I could say they get more visitors, but unfortunately that’s not the case," she said.
The age-restricted facility is estimated to cost about $12 million. To help with funding, the City Council is seeking a grant in the amount of $700,000 from the New Jersey Department of Community Affairs.
The city already has two senior housing centers on Main Street, but the waiting list is long. The proposed project could help ease the wait as well as offer housing to senior citizens with rents that range from $785 to $1,135.
The board deemed the builder’s application complete Oct. 31. Before the project can proceed, the property must be rezoned from assisted living to rental. The project is proposed for a 4.5-acre lot owned by Dr. Donald Hart at 256 Brunswick Pike.
High Point would be restricted to persons age 55 and over. Under federal housing guidelines, no children under 19 will be permitted.
The state Council on Affordable Housing sets the income limit for senior housing properties such as High Point. Depending on the rental price of the apartment, the maximum income would range between $30,500 and $42,500.

