Contract talks continuing for teachers

The school board and the Millstone Township Education Association are planning to give negotiations one more try this week.

By: Scott Morgan
   MILLSTONE — Representatives from the Board of Education and the Millstone Township Education Association (MTEA) are planning to give contract negotiations one more try this week.
   For the past nine months, the Board of Education and MTEA have been stalled in talks concerning health benefits and salaries for teachers and support staff. In recent weeks, members of MTEA have addressed the board with their concerns, but so far a final agreement has proved elusive.
   Representatives from both sides of the issue said they are not allowed to divulge any specifics of the contract talks.
   The union contract expired in June.
   Arlene Agulnick, a teacher at Millstone Middle School and union president, said both sides are expected to meet Thursday to give negotiations one last try before things proceed to "the next level." Ms. Agulnick said that level would involve "fact finding" regarding the issues, but did not explain the specifics of that comment.
   "Hopefully we’ll make progress," Ms. Agulnick said.
   Ms. Agulnick and district Superintendent William Setaro both said the specifics of the situation cannot be released to the public at this time. Ms. Agulnick and Dr. Setaro said their respective sides are under a gag order from their negotiators regarding contract talks.
   Dr. Setaro did say, however, that the school district is trying hard to maintain its current staff in the face of economic hard times. In the midst of the "tightest budget I’ve ever seen," Dr. Setaro said, the board is working toward a solution, which could hinge on how successful Gov. James E. McGreevey proves in his efforts to allot $200 million in aid to school districts statewide.