Overseas travel deemed unsafe because of war, terror threats.
By: Paul Sisolak
MONTGOMERY Two summer trips to Europe for Montgomery High School students have been canceled.
The Board of Education on Tuesday evening canceled an exchange trip to Germany and the high school soccer team’s planned trip to Italy and Holland.
Both trips were slated to take place over the summer. Superintendent Stuart Schnur said worldwide wartime activities make it unsafe to travel.
"I don’t approve of trips flying over bodies of water to foreign nations," he said. "It’s inappropriate at this time."
The German exchange trip would have sent 20 Montgomery students overseas to live with families for the summer. The 40-member soccer team trip involved European tournament play.
"The advisers and kids felt things weren’t safe any longer," he said. Similar high school trips in Somerset County have also been canceled for the same reasons, Dr. Schnur said.
He said the soccer team is seeking a replacement tournament within the continental United States. The German trip has been placed on hold indefinitely.
The two trips were originally approved by the Board of Education in December of last year.

