Board extends its contract with NJBA.
By: Rebecca Tokarz
The school board will continue to use the services of the New Jersey School Boards Association during its search for a new superintendent.
The school board’s top candidate for the position, former Holmdel and Bound Brook Superintendent Leigh Byron, requested April 4 that he no longer be considered for the job, forcing the board to reopen its search.
The board voted 6-2 in favor of extended its contract with NJSBA on Monday, after several members of the public asked the board to instead seek a private recruiting firm that might provide a better candidate pool.
Board members Bob Long and Martin Abschutz voted against the motion. Dan Watts was absent due to a business trip that will take him out of the country through May 1.
The contract extension will cost the district $2,500 and the district can withdraw at any time at no cost to the district, according to school officials.
The board was scheduled to meet Wednesday night after the South Brunswick Post’s deadline to finalize a new timeline for the reopened search and its plans for hiring an interim superintendent.
Board President Harry Delgado said the board could have a new superintendent in place by Sept. 1.
The board is seeking a replacement for Superintendent Sam Stewart who will retire June 30, after 11 years in the district. His current salary is $163,500.
The board hired the NJSBA last year at a cost of $5,000 to aid in the search for a new schools chief. The NJSBA’s contractual obligations were fulfilled when the district brought Dr. Byron in for a district visit on March 25. Altogether, the NJSBA search resulted in 23 candidates, nine of whom were interviewed in January and February.
Board members who supported the NJSBA extension said the process worked under the SBA and another go around could prove fruitful. Those opposed said it was time to move forward with another search process even if it meant hiring an interim superintendent.
Five residents approached the school board, asking it to consider a professional recruiting firm to find a more fruitful candidate pool.
"It is my concern and hope that the board will consider a professional association," resident Carolyn Gallows said. "We all want respected leaders we can be proud of, work with and can move our district forward."
Sylvia Lee, president of the South Brunswick Education Association, said the union could support the NJSBA search as long as the board presented a qualified candidate. And she reminded the board that the public took an active role in the last selection and might again.
"The last time out, the community held you to that," Ms. Lee said.
Continuing with the NJSBA allows the district to continue its search where it left off, as the association is familiar with the characteristics the district deems important for its new chief, board members said.
"A private firm will not bring forth a candidate until sometime in September," board member Carole O’Brien said. "I think this district can spend $2,500 to bring someone forward sooner rather than later"
They also said private recruiting firms can cost around $20,000 plus traveling expenses and generally include in their contracts stipulations that allow for the company to recruit the same candidates for other jobs after three years. That means the district could hire someone to replace Dr. Stewart and then be forced to reopen the search again in three years.
Board member Paul Prodromo said that while a private search firm could provide positive results, it doesn’t prove logical in the end.
"A professional search firm doesn’t guarantee longevity," he said. "This isn’t just $5,000, $10,000 or $20,000 it’s that plus expenses."
Board member Matt Speesler said the board owed it to everyone to continue with the NJSBA because the process worked.
"We owe it to ourselves and the taxpayers," he said.
Mr. Long said a private firm was the best direction to go.
"I think it’s clear that the board is indebted to look for the best candidate for superintendent," he said. "While I will support the process if a majority of the board supports this, I think that knowing what the cost is the board should look to hire a private firm to recruit someone."
Mr. Abschutz also wanted to take a different tack.
"I thought we had a good process, but I think it’s time for a private firm," he said.
Mr. Abschutz called for the board to broaden its horizons to find the right person for the job.
After the vote, board candidate Joan Puchalski said she would support the board with its decision, but asked it to reconsider interviewing potential recruiting firms while it continued the process with the NJSBA.
"I am hopeful they will find the right person for the job," she said. "However, I would suggest a parallel project to find a private search firm, just in case we can’t find the right person in a timely manner. That way, community members who expressed concern will know that we have backup plan."
Resident Lew Schwartz said he was unhappy with the NJSBA for creating a flawed candidate pool.
"I am in no way critical of the board or of the person who withdrew his name," he said. "I will be critical of the School Boards Association."
Mr. Schwartz said the board should continue its search for a new schools chief by obtaining the services of a private recruiting firm and that it hire an interim superintendent so that it would have time to pursue candidates.
"We should hire an interim and make a thorough investigation. I hope the same mistake is not made," he said.
Mr. Schwartz said that $20,000 for a recruiting firm was not much for a district with a $100 million-plus budget.
"Going the cheap way is not necessarily the best way," he said.

