Decision due by July on Kendall Park tract

Committee may use open space trust fund for property.

By: Sharlee DiMenichi
   The Middlesex County Open Space Committee could decide in the next two months whether it will allocate money from the county’s open space trust fund to help the township buy the last large block of open space in Kendall Park.
   Freeholder Director David Crabiel said the committee plans to borrow $80 million to purchase open space throughout the county and that members would determine within 60 days whether some of the money will go toward purchasing the property.
   The approximately 100-acre block is across the street from Woodlot Park and is zoned for residential development. It is high on the township open space committee’s wish list for 2003 and topped the list last year.
   The parcel, owned by Robert Stanton, has been appraised at approximately $9 million, said Bernie Hvozdovic, township open space attorney.
   Kendall Park residents have voiced support for preserving the land and have asked county officials to help.
   A group of residents presented Freeholder Camille Fernicola with a petition signed by 500 people Aug. 15 calling for the purchase of the property, according to Arlyne DeSena, who helped organize the petition drive.
   Ms. DeSena said Tuesday that she is looking forward to news from the county about the property.
   "I certainly hope that they will buy that because it is right in the middle of the most congested area in town," she said.