Municipal investigation quickly closed

By:Alec Moore
   County Prosecutor Wayne Forrest notified Hillsborough officials that an investigation at the municipal building last week found "no evidence of wrong doing."
   "We completed an investigation based on an inquiry, but we did not find sufficient evidence to warrant charges being filed," Prosecutor Forrest said this week.
   Mr. Forrest declined further comment as to the specific nature of the investigation other than to say the investigation was regarding an allegation of impropriety on the part of a Hilllsborough Township employee.
   According to Mayor Tony Gwiazdowski, a detective from the prosecutor’s office questioned Ms. Haas for more than an hour the afternoon of May 7 regarding the allegation.
   The mayor declined to comment on the investigation, but did say he was glad the matter in question has been resolved.
   "I’m glad that everything has been cleared up, now we can get back to the business of the township," he said.
   Ms. Haas declined to comment on her interview with the detective but said she is glad the investigation has been concluded.
   "I’m pleased that the matter is now closed," she said.
   Committeeman Joe Tricarico shared Ms. Haas’ sentiments over the investigation.
   "It’s heartening to know that there was no evidence of wrong doing," said Dr. Tricarico, who feels the investigation cast a negative spotlight on Hillsborough’s governing body and professional staff. "This has a very chilling effect on people who want to get involved in their community, it’s very discouraging to me."