Viking girls lacrosse team gains state berth but loses leading scorer

Sprained ankle may keep Earl out of tournaments

By: Carolyn M. Hartko
   The young South Brunswick High School girls’ lacrosse program is growing up. For the first time since becoming a varsity sport, the Lady Vikings have qualified for the post-season state tournament.
   "It definitely shows growth, and achievement, and the (effect of) hard work," Viking head coach Gail DeMarco said. "And I think it sets a good precedent for the future."
   Coaches had to submit their paperwork to the NJSIAA by Wednesday of this week, so the seedings were not expected to be announced until Friday. The first round games will be played Tuesday of next week, at the home of the higher seeded team. The Vikes were 6-5 at the time of the cutoff and 6-6 after losing at East Brunswick.
   But all the excitement of qualifying for this year’s state tournament helped to soften the effect of Monday’s 13-1 loss to the Bears. In a round-about way, the Vikings can blame the blow-out on the freaky weather at the beginning of the season.
   The Bears/Vikings game should have been the opener for both teams on April 1. Instead, the contest was rescheduled close to the end of the season, and South Brunswick ended up playing minus its top gun.
   Senior forward Tanya Earl sprained her ankle playing travel team soccer, and will probably miss the remainder of the high school lacrosse season. Earl, who is headed to Monmouth University on a soccer scholarship next year, was leading the Viking lax team in goals and assists. South’s attack is a little disorganized without her.
   "The girls are used to working with her," DeMarco said. "We’ve played one game (last week) against a not so strong team, so East Brunswick was our first tough game without her."
   Kate Marowitz spoiled the shutout, scoring the lone Viking goal in the first half. Chrissie Tupe, who has been averaging 15 saves a game, posted 20 against the Bears. Ashley Foltiny played a tenacious game on defense. This was Foltiny’s third game as a varsity starter after being pulled up from the freshman squad. Another freshman starter, Ali Ruggirello, was moved up earlier in the season. The latter is an attacker (first or second home).
   "We have a lot of very young girls," DeMarco said. "But the whole team really has worked hard (over the course of the season). They’ve come such a long way."
   In addition to the state tournament, the Vikings are also looking forward to this year’s Greater Middlesex Conference Tournament. There was one final game to be played before the seeding could be done (Old Bridge/East Brunswick on Wednesday), so the rankings for that tourney should be announced on Thursday with the first round games to be played on Friday at the home of the higher seed. Since there are only four GMC schools with girls lacrosse programs, the second round on Monday will feature the championship game and a consolation match.
   There are also a few games left on the regular schedule, with the Vikings facing West Windsor-Plainsboro North on Saturday, and Bridgewater/Raritan the following Wednesday.