Knights’ run ends with loss to Steinert
By: Bob Nuse
TRENTON – In the end, West Windsor-Plainsboro North simply ran into a better baseball team.
The Knights run through the Mercer County Tournament came to an end Monday night when they dropped a 6-1 decision to Steinert in the championship game at Mercer County Park. North had reached rhe finals with three straight wins, including a 5-0 win over WW-P South in the semifinals on Saturday.
"They’re a great team and they showed why they are champions," North coach Bob Boyce said of Steinert. "You can’t make some of the mistakes we made tonight and expect to beat a team like Steinert. You can’t expect your pitchers to hold them scoreless all night."
The Knights gave up a run in the first inning and that was nearly all Steinert starter Matt Perks needed. By the time North scored a run in the sixth inning on a ground out by Brian Sufalko after an Alex Katz triple, Steinert had already built itself a 5-0 lead. Perks wound up allowing just six hits and did not walk a better in the game.
North starter Jono Chirumbolo tossed four innings and allowed five runs on seven hits, while Doug Caracappa pitched the final two innings and allowed a run. Katz had two of the Knights’ six hits, scored the
Lone run and also stole a base.
"You don’t ever want to lose, but it was great to get here for the kids," said Boyce, whose team fell to 10-13. "It was a great deal to come out here to Waterfront Park and be able to take batting practice. The kids were excited, but Steinert was just too much for us."

