No odor problems or imminent health hazards detected.
By: Gwen Runkle
WEST WINDSOR There are violations, but no odor problems or imminent health hazards at the township’s compost facility on Alexander Road, a state Department of Environmental Protection inspection found last week, township officials say.
"The results were positive," said Robert Hary, head of the township’s Health Department.
He was at the site May 23 when a team of two DEP supervisors and one inspector, along with four members of the township’s health and engineering departments, conducted a detailed evaluation and walk-through of the compost facility.
The inspection was conducted in response to concerns from neighbors about odors and possible water contamination from compost runoff reacting with metals buried under the site when the area was used as the township dump.
Overall no health problems were found, Mr. Hary said, but the DEP did find four areas the township must correct.
The township must grade and drain an area where some water collects near the compost’s entrance, reduce the height of one pile of compost, reduce the amount of raw material brought into the facility and remove a berm that surrounds the site, said Amy Cradic, DEP spokeswoman.
"We’ve already begun to deal with the overage of material that’s been coming to the site," Mr. Hary said. "We’ve actually found there may be errors in how we’ve calculated the amount of material that comes in."
Last year, township records indicate 21,000 cubic yards of compost material came into the site, while only 10,000 cubic yards is permitted by the DEP.
Mr. Hary says brush had been incorrectly calculated into the cubic yardage figure and trucks were not checked to see if they were actually at capacity.
"If a 500-cubic-yard truck came in, 500 cubic yards was marked down, but that truck could have held less," he said. "We need to be more accurate."
The township has already corrected the height of the windrow, or pile of compost, that was a foot or two too high as well, Mr. Hary said.
"But the major issue will be the removal of the berm around the property’s perimeter, which will likely be somewhat costly for the township," he said.
The berm has been at the site since before the area was used as a compost facility and contains not just dirt but items such as big tree trunks and limbs, concrete blocks, plastic and plastic bags, Mr. Hary said.
The township received formal notice from the DEP of the four violations this week and has 15 days to send in an action plan. Jim Parvesse, the township’s acting engineer, is currently working on such a plan.
Residents, while happy the DEP is addressing their concerns, are worried not enough is being done.
"You really can’t tell if there are any health problems out there until you do a water test," said MaryAnn Peedee-Seigel, a Berrien City resident. "There could be a real potential problem with acidic seepage reacting with long-buried items from the site’s days as a landfill. The DEP is starting to address some of this, but more needs to be done."
Mayor Shing-Fu Hsueh says he understands the neighbors concerns and is working cooperatively with the DEP.
"My top priority is to straighten out operations at the site," he said, "then look for options on where else it can go. Once we get it moved out there will be redevelopment of the site.
"Water testing is not needed until a public health threat is recognized," he continued.
In a related development, Gary Carnevale, owner of Carnevale Disposal Co., which operates the compost facility and leases the site from the township for $400 a month, has not yet signed a one-year contract extension recently approved by the Township Council.
Mr. Carnevale has taken issue with provisions added to the contract limiting what he can take in and allowing the township Board of Health to shut the facility down at its discretion.

