alerting drivers of law
Jamesburg will place signs on local streets
alerting drivers of law
By jamie dougher
Staff Writer
The use of hand-held cell phones while driving in Jamesburg is now officially illegal.
The ban went into effect Monday as the result of an ordinance adopted by the Borough Council on June 11. However, signs will still have to be placed throughout the borough to alert motorists of the new law.
"When you’re driving in your vehicle and you have a [cell phone] in your hand, you are somewhat distracted," said Councilman John Longo Jr. "This will help promote public safety."
Police Chief David Lester said his officers will stop motorists and issue warnings for using hand-held cell phones, but he did not elaborate on how many warnings a driver might receive before an officer would write a ticket.
"My instinct tells me that when someone gets stopped, they would restrict their cell phone use after that," he said. "If given a warning, the likelihood is that they’ll stop."
Motorists could face a fine of $200 if issued a ticket for the infraction, according to the borough’s ordinance.
"This brings focus on the behavior of motorists," Lester said. "It gets the word out that driving with a cell phone is unacceptable, improper behavior that could lead to accidents."
Lynn Kulczycki, a resident of Monroe Township, spoke at last week’s council meeting to show her support for the ordinance. She explained how she lost her son in a cell phone-related motor vehicle accident in 1998.
Lester said he knew of some accidents occurring in Jamesburg over the last few years that were related to cell phone use while driving.
"I think it’s a great idea," said Councilwoman Barbara Carpenter. "Accidents will be prevented this way."
The ordinance states: "No person shall operate a motor vehicle on any street, public roadway, or highway while engaging in any conduct defined as the ‘use’ of a mobile telephone unless the operator is using a mobile telephone with ‘hands-free’ technology for talking and listening."
Both Lester and Longo said that the use of a hands-free device, such as a headset, is appropriate for cell phone use while driving and that more motorists are taking note of the option when purchasing cell phones.
"The technology is available now where it shouldn’t be a major cost factor for individuals," Longo said.
In fact, Lester said sometimes a hands-free device accompanies the purchase of a cell phone.
"As this becomes more common behavior, you’ll see cell phones sold with the hands-free [headset]," Lester said. "The headset will be standard rather than an optional accessory."
A bill that would ban the use of hand-held cell phones while driving is now before a committee in the state Legislature, but Jamesburg officials said they wanted to enact a ban on their own instead of waiting for a state law that may or may not be enacted.
"Why should we wait till someone else acts?" Longo said. "We want to be proactive."
Jamesburg joins a handful of communities including Marlboro, Bloomfield, Carteret, Hazlet, Nutley, Irvington and Paramus in adopting a local cell phone ordinance.
When Marlboro passed its ordinance in 2002, officials there said cell phone companies appealed to the township to persuade officials to resist passing the ordinance. However, Longo said he was unaware of any correspondence from cell phone companies trying to deter Jamesburg from passing an ordinance. If there had been, he said, it would not have had any influence over the decision.
"Our people are more important," he said.
Longo said the township has ordered signs to be placed throughout Jamesburg alerting motorists of the new ordinance, but he said he does not know when they will be erected.
"We try to do everything we can to let people know, if you’re going to walk through Jamesburg, you’re going to be safe," he said, "and if you’re going to drive in Jamesburg, you better drive safe."

