wide variety of uses
in five separate parcels
Board to look at plan for
snuff mill redevelopment
Proposal provides for
wide variety of uses
in five separate parcels
By tara petersen
Staff Writer
TARA PETERSEN Developers will soon submit proposals for the redevelopment of the old Helme Tobacco Co. site if town officials proceed with a new redevelopment plan.
HELMETTA — A newly issued redevelopment plan for the 32-acre site of the former Helme snuff mill is expected to go before the Planning Board at its July 16 meeting.
The plan, which splits the property into five parcels and incorporates mixed-use zoning and open space, was submitted to the board June 26 by the borough’s redevelopment planner, Stuart Wiser, of Remington, Vernick and Vena in Tom’s River.
Wiser said the plan allows for multiple scenarios at the site of the long-vacant tobacco factory.
"We tried to create an atmosphere that is flexible enough for a developer to use his creativity while protecting the character of the community," Wiser said.
Mayor Frank Hague said he was very pleased with the redevelopment plan.
"It leaves the door open for a wide range of proposals," he said.
The snuff mill operated for more than 100 years and was once the largest employer in Helmetta. It shut down in 1993 when the company consolidated, removing a major source of jobs and a significant tax ratable from the borough.
Last year, borough officials designated the mill and its surroundings a redevelopment area and hired Wiser’s firm to prepare a redevelopment plan.
The plan calls for Parcel One, which is north of John Street and located close to Jamesburg County Park, to be preserved as open space. According to Wiser, the approximately 3-acre tract would "be a buffer between the more intense high-rises and the [green acres]."
The plan stipulates that the smallest section, a 1-acre area dubbed Parcel Two, near Brookside Place, would be designated for commercial use only.
Parcels Three and Four, which contain the two main high-rise buildings on the north side of Main Street — comprising 2.4 and 5.5 acres, respectively — would be zoned to allow both commercial and residential uses.
The proposal allows for age-restricted housing, but does not require it. It also does not stipulate how many residential units can be accommodated, as Wiser said that will be left to the developers to determine.
"One of the several permitted uses of the multi-story buildings is to allow residential [units] above commercial space," Wiser said. He added that it would be "along the lines of the old successful downtowns" where people could live above the stores where they shop or work.
Wiser said that these buildings would also be ideal for a hotel and conference center, given the proximity of the borough to New York City and other populous areas. According to Wiser, borough officials have a strong desire to keep at least the two six-story buildings intact, and would also like to avoid tearing down the lower brick buildings.
Regarding the sky-bridge connecting the two main structures, Wiser said the plan would "leave that up to the developer(s).
"It is entirely possible that the right-hand and left-hand buildings will be developed by two different developers," he said, noting that the plan is flexible enough to allow for multiple developers.
"There’s so much potential for this site," he said. "Get a developer with some imagination and this can be an award-winning project."
Parcel Five, which spans about 4 acres and is located across Main Street from the other four properties, would be designated for "a mix of general retail and commercial office space," according to Wiser.
"There are wetlands off the road. The developable part is quite a bit smaller than the parcel shown [on the concept plan]," he said.
Hague said the borough is in the process of creating a recreational area near Parcel One along the lake. He said that it is on Jamesburg County Park property and will include a fishing pier, pavilions, a playground and park benches. Part of Parcel One will also be earmarked for recreation," he said.
Hague said that he is concerned that any opposition to the plan, no matter how unfounded, will result in delays."There’s a certain group of people using the mill for political reasons. It’s irresponsible. People don’t have all the facts," he said.
The mayor said that those opposed are telling residents that the new plan would burden the school system, but "they don’t tell you that if nothing is done, we’ll have no tax ratable."
The concept plan is in phase two as mandated by state law for redeveloping. Phase one was completed once the property was found to be "in need of redevelopment," meeting four of the seven criteria for such a designation.
If the Planning Board recommends the plan, the next step would be for the Borough Council to consider it for adoption by ordinance.
Wiser said that once the plan is approved, the borough would initiate a Request for Proposals (RFP) in which developers would be invited to submit proposals for the site that are in line with the redevelopment plan.
"We would advertise to developers that this option will be available," Wiser said. "The borough wants to do a public solicitation for developers."
"The whole goal is to have a partnership with a good developer," he said.
Wiser said that if the Planning Board recommends the plan and the council gives final approval by October, "We could have a good idea of the future of the parcel by the end of the year."
"We don’t have to make any decisions as to what goes there," he said. "There’s no reason to stall at this juncture. Wait for the RFP and the plans to come in and let’s see what they are."

