Township is offering a reward to anyone who can help police catch those responsible for yet another incident of anti-Semitic and anti-American graffiti found in East Windsor.
By: Dana Lynn Flatekval
EAST WINDSOR Following the fifth instance of anti-Semitic and anti-American graffiti in the last 20 months, the township is offering a reward to anyone who can help police catch those responsible.
More than two dozen swastikas were discovered Nov. 24 painted in black across Route 133 West sound barriers. "Osama bin Laden for President" and "Long Live Osama bin Laden" were written across Route 133 East. The symbols and words are similar to those that have occurred over the past 20 months.
"I wish to send a strong and unambiguous message that this activity and the hateful and offensive messages signified by these markings is not reflective of the sentiments and beliefs of the people of our community, and are totally unacceptable and intolerable," Mayor Janice Mironov said in a written statement on Wednesday.
Mayor Mironov said the symbols and comments are not being taken lightly, but "represent the worst kind of bigotry and hate."
The mayor said that the Police Chief William Spain and the Police Department are making these incidents a priority.
Mayor Mironov said she has spoken to the police chief regularly about the matters to decide what to do about the incidents.
The township is taking two steps to address the anti-Semitic and anti-American graffiti.
The township is offering a reward of $1,500, which has been provided through private donors, for information leading to the capture and prosecution of those who are responsible for these incidents.
The mayor said people with information can be anonymous.
Mayor Mironov said she, along with Chief Spain, has spoken to the New Jersey attorney general’s office and will be meeting with members of the attorney general Bias Crime Unit in the Division of Criminal Justice, along with a representative from the New Jersey Department of Transportation, to find additional resources that would help track down the individuals committing these acts.
She said some resources might include crime detection tools and technology.
"We are looking to ascertain these tools at the meeting," Mayor Mironov said. "We will discuss the tools and approaches they will bring to the table."
"The East Windsor Township Police Department takes these incidents very seriously, has given a high priority to investigating and preventing these bias crime incidents and has been working diligently to apprehend those responsible," Chief Spain said in the same press release. "We all share the common and important goal of putting an end to this activity."
Previously, on July 9, a profane anti-Jewish phrase was written in black, along with 29 swastikas across barriers and 10 swastikas on the center median of the Route 133 bypass.
In March 2003, five swastikas were spray-painted along the Route 133 bypass. In July 2003 a swastika was found on a house on Danbury court and on April 11, more swastikas were painted along the bypass on the concrete media.
So far no one has been charged in any of these incidents, police said.
Anyone with information regarding the bias incidents should call East Windsor Township police Detective Harry Marshall at 448-5678, ext. 232.

