Administration seeking ways to get snow removed more promptly.
By: Jennifer Potash
As Princeton Borough residents begin to dig out from under the weekend’s heavy snowfall, the Borough Council may consider changes to the existing sidewalk snow-removal ordinance with the aim of having snow removed more promptly.
Borough Administrator Robert Bruschi said residential areas, not the downtown business district, will be the focus of the discussion before the council tonight.
"Given the emphasis that we place upon a community that is pedestrian-friendly, our ordinance comes up short in the snow-removal category," Mr. Bruschi said.
The impetus to revisit the borough’s snow-removal policy stemmed from the controversial sidewalk discussion last year when Princeton Township sought to install sidewalks on a portion of Snowden Lane that were bitterly opposed by some borough and township residents.
Mr. Bruschi said at that time he received calls from two senior citizens who rely on sidewalks to get around town.
Borough residents are more cooperative than most in ensuring sidewalks are free and clear of snow, Mr. Bruschi said.
"I would say that 95 percent do a very good job," he said.
But a major snowstorm, such as the one over the weekend that dumped between 12 and 15 inches in the region, and noncompliance with the snow-removal ordinance present a major safety hazard, Mr. Bruschi said.
"If one or two (residents) don’t comply, it makes a huge difference on pedestrians who rely on the sidewalks to get around and a has a major impact on their ability to do it safely," Mr. Bruschi said.
The ordinance now on the books requires resident to clear the sidewalks within 12 daylight hours after the snow ceases to fall.
Since daylight is already limited during the winter months, it’s rare to get 12 consecutive hours, Mr. Bruschi said.
A couple of days could pass until the sidewalks are shoveled, he said.
Other problems arise from the ordinance’s lack of a standard of how much space should be shoveled to accommodate pedestrians.
"I would argue that a shovel-width is completely inadequate for Nassau Street and even 4 feet might not be enough for Nassau Street, but it might be OK for a side street," Mr. Bruschi said.
Who gets a summons for failure to follow the ordinance may also enter the debate.
Given the large number of rental properties in the borough, notifying a landlord who may live out of state does not bring a quick resolution to snow-clogged sidewalk, Mr. Bruschi said.
"If the property owner lives in California and we’re sending a violation notice by mail, that could be days until something is done," Mr. Bruschi said.
Any changes must make allowances for senior citizens, the disabled and the less affluent who can’t afford to pay for snow-removal services, Mr. Bruschi said.
The borough sought Princeton High School students to volunteer to shovel snow for the elderly or homebound but only one or two students signed up for the list, Mr. Bruschi said.
One option is to develop a list of resources residents can contact for help with clearing the sidewalks, Mr. Bruschi said.
In other action, the council is poised to make some key personnel decisions.
The council, in closed session, will interview Police Capt. Anthony Federico for the soon-to-be vacant chief of police position. Chief Charles Davall earlier this month announced he was retiring from the department to take the job of deputy director of public safety at Princeton University.
After interviewing candidates for municipal prosecutor in a special meeting on Jan. 18, the council is expected to appoint attorney Kim Otis tonight.
Mr. Otis, who is a partner in the Princeton Borough firm Haveson and Otis, was recently appointed as municipal prosecutor in Princeton Township. He has served as Montgomery Township’s prosecutor for three years.
Marc Citron, the former borough prosecutor, stepped down on Dec. 31. Attorneys from the Mercer County Prosecutor’s Office are serving as temporary municipal prosecutors.

