Mancini deserves a hand for successful comeback

By: Ken Weingartner
   Some people boast about being able to beat someone with one hand tied behind their back.
   Anthony Mancini doesn’t have to make that claim. For the first eight matches of the wrestling season, that is, essentially, what he has done.
   Mancini, a senior, missed the opening of the season after severely tearing a thumb ligament in his left hand. Upon his return to the lineup, he went 7-1 while wearing a cast on that hand.
   He had the cast removed Tuesday and is anxious to see what he can do with two good hands.
   "Injuries are always annoying, but it’s better that I had it happen at the beginning of the season," Mancini said. "I’m right-handed, so it hasn’t been that bad. But people have told me it’s going to feel like I have a third arm because I’m so used to wrestling with one hand. It’s been like wrestling with a hand tied behind your back. I guess it’s good; I should do even better now."
   Mancini went 16-11 last season and won the District 20 Tournament title at 125 pounds. He got to the consolation semifinals of the Region 5 tourney, where his campaign ended two wins shy of advancing to states.
   "I’ve definitely got to go to states this year, without a doubt," Mancini said. "It’s my senior year; I’ve got to do the best I can. And (heavyweight state qualifier) Mike Goff keeps telling me that if I don’t go to states with him this time, he’s going to kill me."
   Mancini is confident he won’t have to face Goff’s wrath. Heading into Wednesday match against South Plainfield, he had won seven straight bouts since losing a controversial decision in his return.
   "I feel like I’m a lot better," he said. "I was so mad after that (first) match, but I don’t really consider it a loss. I was down three points and hit a five-point move, put the kid to his back, but the referee thought we were going out of bounds and blew the whistle. I wasn’t really in shape then, and I’m a lot more in shape now. As of right now, I could go a good three periods.
   "I always go into every match thinking I’m going to win; you have to have that mentality in this sport. I think I’ve improved, too, on the tempo of my matches. Before, I would always go 110 percent all the time. I’ve learned you’ve got to gauge yourself. You learn to know the tempo of the match, know when you have room to play defense, know when you have to play offense. Things have just clicked this year. I think it’s just experience."
   Coach Sal Profaci has been impressed by what he has seen so far from Mancini.
   "He’s going to do really well this year," Profaci said. "I expect him to do well in districts and, if he’s having a good day, he might even win the county tournament."
   Monroe, which has been without regional qualifier Al Rotundo, dropped to 6-4 with a loss Wednesday at South Plainfield, one of the state’s top-ranked teams. The defeat followed setbacks to East Brunswick and Sayreville, two of the top squads in Middlesex County.
   "We won seven of the 14 matches against Sayreville, but we had three freshmen and a rookie in the lineup," Profaci said. "I felt we were better than both Sayreville and East Brunswick, but when you have three freshmen and a rookie in the lineup, it’s unpredictable how they’ll respond. In some cases, they were winning matches and ended up getting pinned, so that hurt us. But everyone is working hard. I think we’re going to rebound well."
   The Falcons wrestle at North Brunswick tonight (Friday), at J.P. Stevens Saturday and at South Brunswick Tuesday. Monroe entered the week in 10th place in Central Jersey Group III, but was less than one power point from being among the qualifiers for the team tourney.
   "Our goal is to make it to the state tournament," Profaci said. "I think we have a good chance, but we have to win those next three matches. And it would be nice to get on a roll before the (Greater Middlesex Conference Tournament). I think we can get four or five guys in the top four at GMCs. But I say that every year, so who knows? We’re just going to show up."
   Mancini, for his part, will be happy to show up — with two hands.
   "This is the fun part of the season," he said. "From the counties on out, it’s not all individual, but you want to concentrate on doing well. It’s the best part of the season."
   BACKPOINTS: Profaci’s son, Little Sal, won the bantam 55-pound weight class at the Old Bridge rec tournament last week. "The rec program is coming along," Profaci said. "They’re doing great. Gary Friedman coordinates everything and is doing a great job. There are 30 kids and they’re all going to tournaments and wrestling and having a lot of fun.
   "We’re building the program. All the parents are helping and the crowds at our matches are bigger than they’ve ever been. It’s getting there."