New Hope getting back to normal

The Borough Council wants to bring back the tourists after the flooding earlier this month.

By: Linda Seida
   NEW HOPE — The Borough Council has taken several steps to bring back the tourists and help residents and merchants get their lives back to normal after the flood earlier this month.
   At their meeting Tuesday night, members of the council agreed to waive construction permits and permit fees for any restoration work needed by properties because of flood damage.
   "We don’t want to profit from people’s pain," said council President Richard Hirschfield.
   In a move designed to induce visitors back to town after the flood, the council also agreed to bag the town’s parking meters from April 25 to May 1, allowing tourists and shoppers to park free on public streets. Union Square also will bag its meters, but only Saturday and Sunday of that week.
   The free parking is intended to be the first step of a loosely designed "Step Into Spring" program, kicking off a spring tourist season and attracting more visitors to the area to enjoy certain events.
   "It will be a good kick start for May," said Brian Fitting, president of the New Hope Chamber of Commerce.
   Among the upcoming events are the third annual Indoor Sculpture Exhibition April 30 to May 29, Lambertville’s annual Shad Festival May 21 and 22 and the extended Memorial Day weekend May 28 to 30.
   Council Vice President Sharyn Keiser thanked the borough’s merchants for their "incredibly positive" comments to the press after the flood. Their remarks regarding their commitment to getting shops and businesses up and running as soon as possible after the flood were a plus in attracting the crowds back to town, Ms. Keiser said.
   Mayor Laurence Keller asked those who want to support New Hope’s restaurants and businesses to consider venturing out on the town during the week, rather than just the weekends.
   "They don’t need the financial support on a Saturday night," Mayor Keller said, adding weekends always find local restaurants and nightspots hopping. "But on Monday to Thursday, that’s the time to show our support."
   Among the many businesses and restaurants hurt by the flood was The Landing, a restaurant on Main Street.
   "The Landing took a wallop," Mayor Keller said. "The downstairs needs to be totally redone inside."
   Even though inside dining is hampered right now, proprietors Chris and Ellen Bollenbacher are committed to opening their outside dining area again by this weekend, according to Mayor Keller.
   The Bollenbachers were among the many volunteers helping out around town as streets and buildings filled with water from the Delaware River.
   "Chris and Ellen were directing traffic in the rain while their place was underwater," Ms. Keiser said.