South bomb scare causes evacuation

Students found the words "bomb at" scrawled in a bathroom at the high school.

By: Linda Seida
   WEST AMWELL — A bomb scare last week at South Hunterdon Regional High School resulted in the evacuation of students, staff and administration.
   Although no bomb or incendiary device was discovered, officials still are looking into the incident, according to Principal Don Woodring.
   "The prosecutor’s office dusted for prints and is carrying on the investigation," he said. "This prank put everyone at risk."
   The evacuation occurred May 17 shortly before 9:30 a.m. after the words "Bomb At" were found scrawled on a mirror in a bathroom in the B-wing.
   "We didn’t feel we could take a chance," Mr. Woodring said. "We need to make sure our kids are safe. That’s the number one responsibility I have."
   He added, "We’re really not trained to make those decisions" whether the threat was real. Mr. Woodring called the police.
   West Amwell police Lt. Stephen Bartzak responded along with three K-9 units from the New Jersey State Police and investigators from the Hunterdon County prosecutor’s office.
   Principal Don Woodring said he wasn’t sure what the author of the message intended by scrawling just two words, "Bomb At." He theorized whoever it was didn’t have the opportunity to complete the message.
   Mr. Woodring said the bomb scare took manpower away from others who might have been in need. In addition, the police response and investigation cost money, he added.
   Several classes were missed, and lunch was later than usual, according to Mr. Woodring.
   "We’re not happy that educational time was taken away," he said.
   As a result, the school sent a letter to students’ families, notifying them if another similar prank occurs "then we would extend the school day and the school year, if necessary," Mr. Woodring said.
   Students were permitted to return to the building about noon, according to Mr. Woodring. He said the evacuation was orderly, and "everything worked the way it was supposed to work. The worst that happened was a few students got sunburned."
   According to West Amwell Police, two students initially discovered the bomb threat. They reported it to a teacher, who then reported it to Mr. Woodring. The school locked down the bathroom until Lt. Bartzak arrived to investigate.