Timing of WW-P facilities referendum still unclear

Changing formula for dividing costs between two municipalities under consideration.

By: Emily Craighead
   Whether voters will see the West Windsor-Plainsboro Regional School District’s proposed $25 million facilities referendum in December, January, or not for another year is still up in the air.
   However, Superintendent Robert Loretan said that when that issue does go to a vote, West Windsor and Plainsboro Township residents will also have the chance to change the way costs are apportioned between the two municipalities.
   Currently, the cost is distributed according to the tax base of the two townships based on an equalized-valuation formula that compensates for the difference between the market value of properties and their assessment for tax purposes.
   Alternatively, voters could decide to base the apportionment on the number of pupils from each municipality.
   "It seems to be fairer, less complicated, and lead to less conflict between communities," said Mayor Peter Cantu, who suggested earlier this year that a change in the funding calculations be considered.
   West Windsor Township is contributing about $69.5 million — about 57 percent — to the 2005-2006 budget, and Plainsboro Township is contributing $52.6 million.
   West Windsor students comprise just under 58 percent of the total number of students in the district this year.
   "The fact the percentages are close now means people shouldn’t worry unduly about fairness right now," Assistant Superintendent for Finance Larry Shanok said.
   But this has not always been the case. In 2002, 42 percent of the students were from Plainsboro, and Plainsboro contributed 38 percent of the budget. In 1998, 36 percent of the students were from Plainsboro and the township contributed 40 percent of the budget.
   In 1975, all regional districts were required to base calculations on equalized valuation. Since then, the rules have been relaxed to allow school boards to ask voters to decide which formula to use, or whether to use a combination.
   However, because both municipalities must approve the switch, and one municipality often benefits over the other, changes to per-pupil apportionment are rare.
   "I don’t know of one successful referendum to go the other way," said John Donahue, assistant director of New Jersey School Business Officials. "Where’s the incentive to give up what you’ve got?"
   Changing to a per-pupil calculation would have some advantages, according to Board of Education President Hemant Marathe.
   "This will eliminate wide swings (caused by shifts in equalized valuations) from year to year," he said.
   The board has not made a final decision to put the question to voters.
   Discussing the proposed facilities referendum Tuesday, board members debated whether to move forward quickly to take advantage of state funds available through December.
   The alternative would be to take the time to expand the facilities report and risk not receiving those funds.
   Jon Cosse, assistant superintendent for pupil and personnel services, said the second option would stray from the facilities committee’s intentions.
   "The facilities committee began by going to every single school and asking the principal, what’s wrong," he said. "We didn’t approach from the point of view of how can we make the quality of instruction better than it already is, because that’s a completely different question."
   The facilities report submitted to the board in April outlines maintenance needs at the district schools, highlighting those requiring more extensive work, including High School South, and Dutch Neck, Maurice Hawk and Wicoff elementary schools.