Millstone’s public access channel is rebroadcasting last month’s live debate (Nov. 3)
By: Lauren Burgoon
MILLSTONE With six days left before voters elect two Township Committeemen, Millstone’s public access channel is rebroadcasting last month’s live debate, allowing residents to finally to see the four candidates advocate their positions on development, taxes, recreation space and more.
The airings began Saturday even though all four candidates did not submit a waiver form. Republicans Ramin Dilfanian and Steve Sico submitted a signed waiver to Township Clerk Maria Dellasalla for rebroadcast, but as of Tuesday, no such forms had been received from Democrats Bill Nurko and Frank Cotter, according to the clerk.
While everyone is satisfied that the debate is airing, no one is quite sure how the rebroadcasts dissolved into such a problem, although there is plenty of finger-pointing.
This year’s rebroadcast squabbles could contribute to the tone of future debate negotiations in a town relatively new to televised political debates. This year is only the second televised debate and as in 2004, it was preceded by weeks, if not months, of negotiations between the parties. Unlike last year, the bickering did not end after the debate.
Much of the controversy began after the live Oct. 20 debate, when Mayor Elias Abilheira told the audience that the event would be rebroadcast on Channel 77. When that did not happen, Mr. Cotter called the delay a politically orchestrated move by the mayor, a Republican.
The candidates needed to submit a request before the debate could be re-televised, and airings after the live show were delayed because no one did so, Mayor Abilheira responded.
The Democratic and Republican camps exchanged many e-mails about the rebroadcast following the debate. The Republicans, led by Millstone Township Republican County Executive Committee Chairwoman Diane Morelli, demanded waiver language reading in part, "I will not edit or otherwise show portions of the debate as part of my campaign material, electronic media, Web page, recorded phone message or in any manner other than in the complete unedited, unadulterated form in its entirely."
Last year’s campaign prompted the request.
"We’re concerned because we were burned last year when the independent candidate (John Pfefferkorn) re-edited parts of the debate on a voice message that tweaked Bob Kinsey’s words," Ms. Morelli said.
Signing a commitment not to take comments out of context this year should be agreeable to the candidates, she added.
"I don’t know what the sticking point is if no one has any intention of doing things to the rebroadcast. The fact that (the Democrats) haven’t signed it leads me to believe something is in the works," Ms. Morelli said. "Sometimes actions speak louder than words."
The Democrats are not to blame for the rebroadcast troubles, Mr. Cotter retorted Tuesday. The problem lies in the rebroadcast itself, which Mr. Cotter said shows signs of editing.
"Mr. Abilheira made some comments about the beginning and end of the debate saying it would be rebroadcast," he said, adding those comments are not included in the rebroadcast. Mr. Cotter is investigating other possible anomalies by comparing a copy of the original broadcast to a copy of the version airing now. "No one is saying it is or isn’t (edited) … It would be very interesting to see if they’re the same."
"The Republican campaign has no knowledge that the debate which is currently being rebroadcast had been edited in any way," Ms. Morelli responded in an e-mail Tuesday.
In the meantime, Mr. Cotter said he would not sign the Republican-requested waiver language until he knows if the debate has been altered. He will make a final determination by Monday.
As the debate contention looks to continue right up until Election Day, Tom Ridgway, who headed Mr. Pfefferkorn’s campaign last year, said this year’s debate aftermath was handled less professionally all around than in 2004 and blamed involvement from politicians unrelated to the campaign for the fighting.
"I don’t recall John (Pfefferkorn) having to sign any agreement last year to rebroadcast the debate. It was something that was discussed between (Republican negotiator) Roger Staib and myself. We just agreed to rebroadcast it," he said Monday.
Mr. Pfefferkorn was not available for comment Tuesday, but Ms. Morelli said Mr. Kinsey did sign a waiver last year. Mayor Abilheira said it is standard for any participant, from political candidates to Pop Warner football officials, to sign a release form before events are televised.
Regardless of whether all candidates submit waivers, the Oct. 20 debate will be shown several more times on Channel 77 on and before Election Day. Scheduled airings include Saturday at noon and 7 p.m., Monday at noon and 7:30 p.m., and Tuesday at noon and 8 p.m.

