Plan to engage rug mill developer on hold

Mayor says council members will vote at Nov. 21 meeting

By: Vic Monaco
   HIGHTSTOWN — The plan for Borough Council to enter into an agreement next week with a new developer for the rug mill property has been put on hold as some members aren’t yet sure it’s the right thing to do.
   "We didn’t have a chance to really get to talk to the developer and determine exactly where we are," said Mayor Bob Patten on Thursday.
   So, instead of voting on a memorandum of understanding with Satish Metha at their meeting Monday as planned, council members will meet in private session to discuss "negotiable items," the mayor said.
   "We’ll vote at our Nov. 21 meeting if the council is ready for that," he said.
   In addition to a memorandum of understanding, which would require Mr. Metha to pay for borough professionals to review the plan, that vote could also include naming Mr. Metha as the second conditional developer of the project, Mayor Patten said.
   Councilman Walter Sikorski — who previously expressed opposition to approving the memorandum before seeing studies on traffic, environmental issues and financial feasibility — declined to comment Thursday.
   But Mayor Patten acknowledged that some council members aren’t ready.
   "Even myself," he said. "I need some more information."
   Mr. Metha last month made a presentation to redevelop the site with 92 condominiums and four duplexes along with office and commercial space that would include a restaurant and expansion of the nearby municipal building. However, he said he was surprised that the borough also wanted him to renovate the current municipal building and indicated that that aspect was not financially feasible.
   Mr. Metha is working with Greystone Mill of Paoli, Pa., the former conditional developer of the project, whose final plan for a reported 130 units was deemed unacceptable by the borough.
   The local redevelopment ordinance calls for a maximum of 80 housing units but Mayor Patten said Thursday that Mr. Metha’s plan for 100 units is not the problem.
   "I don’t think that’s a big stumbling block at all," he said. "We just need more information so we can make a good, rational decision."
   The mayor has previously said that Borough Council would have to amend the redevelopment ordinance if the number of units exceeds 80.
   Mr. Metha could not be reached for comment Thursday afternoon. He has estimated that his plan would cost $26 million.