Redevelopment plan faces ‘stalemate’

Council fractured on how to proceed on redevelopment of former rug mill property

By: Vic Monaco
   HIGHTSTOWN — Borough Council members publicly displayed what appeared to be consensus when they all agreed to have their attorney draw up a memorandum of understanding with a man who wants to redevelop the former rug mill property.
   Three weeks later, only one member wants to approve the MOU, and the council is fractured on how to proceed.
   "It’s at a stalemate right now," said Councilman Larry Quattrone.
   "There are a lot of different opinions at this point," said Councilman Patrick Thompson. "We’re taking a look at all the options in front of us."
   It might have appeared a few weeks ago that the main, if not only option was Satish Metha, who on Oct. 17 presented a plan for 92 condominiums and four duplexes on the Bank Street property along with office and commercial and office space.
   But some council members are now in favor of seeking proposals from other developers. And at least one, Mr. Thompson, thinks the borough’s redevelopment ordinance needs to be reviewed.
   "Last summer’s redevelopment plan came suspiciously close to looking like what Greystone was presenting to us. I think we need to take a step back and look at it," he said. "With more open discussion we could have captured more of a consensus of the public’s opinion."
   Greystone Mill of Paoli, Pa., the first conditional developer of the project, failed to present an acceptable plan. Its final plan reportedly called for 130 residential units, which is well above the maximum 80 units called for by the borough’s redevelopment ordinance.
   Mayor Bob Patten said last week that the number of units proposed by Mr. Metha, who is working with Greystone as potential purchasers and partners, is not a big stumbling block. But others disagree.
   "I’m not interested in going higher than 80 until a compelling case comes forward that there’s no other alternative," said Mr. Thompson, echoing an almost identical comment made recently by Councilwoman Nancy Walker Laudenberger.
   "There may even be too much volume with 80 units but if we could get to that point, I wouldn’t have much of an argument," said Councilman David Schneider.
   Mr. Schneider says he wants to move head with the MOU, mostly to determine if Mr. Metha can financially handle the project. But his guess is that Borough Council won’t vote on it at its next meeting because there are members afraid it does more than just allow borough professionals to review the plan using escrow money from Mr. Metha.
   There’s a discomfort level for some members," he said.
   Mr. Thompson said one of the things that needs to be reviewed is a market research and marketability study commissioned by the council. Councilman Walter Sikorski said he is "immovable" about voting for an MOU before seeing that report.
   "With that in mind, we could study the viability of the number of units that would be required to make the project financially viable," said Mr. Sikorski.
   "I’m not voting (on the MOU) until I see it," echoed Councilman Quattrone.
   Peter Sockler, the former Planning Board member who is doing the study, said this week that he is hopeful it will be complete within a week.
   "It’s very involved and detailed and it has taken a lot of time because the project is unique," said Mr. Sockler, who added that Mr. Metha’s recent entrance into the picture further delayed completion.
   Even if the MOU is not voted on later this month, Mr. Schneider said, there’s no reason the borough can’t keep negotiating with Mr. Metha to get to a "happy number" of residential units. He said he still believes there’s a "reasonable chance" the borough could reach an agreement with Mr. Metha or Greystone.
   Mr. Quattrone criticized Greystone for being too greedy, in its quest to build too many units.
   "It’s really sad," he said of the current situation. "The town was ready and Greystone could have done it."
   Mr. Sikorski pointed out that Greystone still owes the borough $27,400 in escrow money mandated by its previous agreement with the borough.
   Meanwhile, Mr. Schneider, like Mr. Thompson, wants the borough to seek proposals from other developers. Mr. Sikorski said the council could decide to move in that direction and he doesn’t agree with the mayor’s contention that the borough shouldn’t do that because it doesn’t own the property. Displaying just how disparate the views on council are, Mr. Quattrone agreed with the mayor that requests-for-proposals don’t seem to make sense.
   A few members of the public spoke against the borough entering into the MOU at Monday’s meeting. Matt Cuddy of the Planning Board said he doesn’t believe Mr. Metha has the necessary experience.
   "We need to hear from experienced redevelopers," he said.
   Eugene Sarafin, a former member of Borough Council, said he prefers to see a parking garage rather than the large parking lot planned on the property.
   After the council held a private session Monday night to discuss the project, Mayor Patten was tight-lipped Tuesday, saying he hadn’t considered whether the MOU would be put up for a vote at the Nov. 21 council meeting.
   In related news, the council was presented Monday with a draft ordinance to create an economic development commission by Jeff Bond of the Great Hightstown East Windsor Improvement Project said.
   In response, Mayor Patten said he asked Councilmen Thompson and Quattrone and Solicitor Fred Raffetto to work with members of GHEWIP to tweak the ordinance. If all goes well, the mayor said, Borough Council would introduce the ordinance Nov. 21 and make appointments in January.
   Mayor Patten said the commission could not only create a vision for the mill property and former Minute Maid tract but also market existing businesses and help form a network of area business people.
   Mr. Thompson said he is optimistic the commission can "play a key role in helping formulate our business vision." He said that while the mill property redevelopment could be fodder for the commission, he doesn’t believe that was the motivation behind its creation.
   The borough previously had an economic development advisory team, but it has been criticized for being secretive. The commission would have more power and be subject to the Open Public Meetings Act, according to Borough Clerk Candace Gallagher.