BY SUE MORGAN
Staff Writer
WEST LONG BRANCH — Tonight, the borough Zoning Board of Adjustment is expected to review the document that summarizes its green lighting of Monmouth University’s plan to build campus facilities in a residential zone.
For some residents, particularly those who live in the neighborhood where the construction of a dormitory, two parking lots, detention basin and tennis courts is slated to occur, the document comes not a moment too soon.
The agenda for the board meeting scheduled to begin at 8 p.m. at the borough hall lists the resolution detailing the Aug. 31 approval of Monmouth University’s use variance and preliminary site plan application as a business item for review.
Late last week, representatives from the office of Thomas Klein, the board attorney who also drafted the document, confirmed that the resolution will be discussed at tonight’s meeting.
In the meantime, however, the debate among certain residents over whether or not to appeal the controversial decision, which has raised the ire of university neighbors, continued at the Dec. 7 council meeting, the first presided over by newly elected Republican Mayor Janet Tucci.
During the meeting’s public portion, a few residents questioned Tucci and the Borough Council as to when they would decide whether to pursue an appeal of a vote that they believe violates the borough’s master plan.
At previous meetings, borough Attorney Gregory Baxter and other officials have told residents that the Zoning Board must review and vote upon the resolution first. The council can then review the resolution itself and decide about the appeal.
Last week’s meeting was no different as residents pushed Tucci, Baxter and the council for answers.
Citing the length of the application, which was heard by the board over a period of 19 months, Baxter replied that Klein had needed extensive time just to put the written resolution document together.
“It’s not easy to put [the resolution] together because it was a long hearing,” Baxter said.
Joseph Hughes, a Pinewood Avenue resident who is also president of the West Long Branch Coalition of Neighbors, a grassroots organization that opposes any expansion by the university into residential zones, continued leading the charge for an appeal.
Hughes, who resides across Pinewood Avenue from where a 126-stall parking lot is to be located, was the primary objector to the university’s application.
Under the approved application for numerous bulk and use variances, Monmouth University is also expected to construct a three-story, 196-bed dormitory at the corner of Cedar and Pinewood avenues near three existing dormitories.
In addition, the approval will allow the university to build a detention basin, six tennis courts and a 21-stall parking lot on the site of the former Kilkare Farm off Beechwood Avenue in an R-22 zone. The university owns that land.
Speaking for himself and his wife, Pamela, and the coalition, Hughes told the council that the issue is the zoners granting the university permission to build into a residential, R-22 zone.
The coalition has no enmity toward the university itself, Hughes said.
“We don’t want to obfuscate the issue by seeming that we hate the university,” Hughes said. “All we want [the Zoning Board] to know is that it is wrong to [build campus facilities] in the R-22 zone.”
Locust Avenue resident, Mary Lynch who mentioned that she is a Monmouth University graduate also queried the council if they will appeal the decision.
“Is this council going to make some commitment pro or con?” Lynch asked. “I don’t think you should be suing your own board. But this council needs to show if it supports the university’s growth or the neighbors who live near there.
“My concern is that you support your own master plan,” she added.
Lawrence Avenue resident John O’Brien told the council that appealing was the way to send a message to the zoning board.
“I think it is a terrible decision. I would expect that the council would appeal,” O’Brien said. “The resolution is minor. [The Zoning Board] made its decision. They approved [the application]. A number of residents disagree with this decision.
“If we don’t appeal this decision, where will it end?” O’Brien added.
Hughes, who has indicated that he plans to appeal the decision even if the council does not, previously presented town officials with a petition bearing the names of 106 residents who want the governing body to file suit against the Zoning Board.
Another resident, Fred Acerra, of Pine Avenue who later indicated that his son works for the university, subsequently submitted a petition bearing the names of about 200 residents opposing the use of taxpayer funds to appeal the decision. Acerra did not attend the Dec. 7 council meeting.
However, Throckmorton Avenue resident Fred Martinson spoke to that side of the issue.
“I think all of us want Monmouth University to be a success. Growth will be a sign of success,” Martinson said. “We shouldn’t be surprised if we lose a little ground from time to time.
“I don’t want any of my tax money spent to sue any board,” he continued.
“While we might have 150 people supporting the suit, about 7,000 do not,” Martinson concluded.
But Hughes pointed to Tucci’s Nov. 8 victory over former Democratic mayor John Paolantonio as a sign that residents want an appeal if only to uphold the master plan.
During his campaign, Paolantonio had publicly stated that he opposed using taxpayer money for an appeal, Hughes noted.
“The Republicans said they would not support the encroachment of Monmouth University and that they would preserve R-22,” said Hughes, who is himself an attorney. “The whole issue is not about Monmouth University. It’s about preserving R-22.
“There’s going to be an appeal. I’m going to be writing the appeal,” he added “It’ll hold a little more weight if the council of this town supports it.”
Baxter has previously stated that an appeal of the Zoning Board approval might cost taxpayers about $5,000 to $10,000. The borough budget for calendar year 2005 is $7.4 million.

