East Windsor woman had been convicted in beating death of 21-month-old son.
By: Marisa Maldonado
TRENTON Maritza Soto, the East Windsor woman convicted in the beating death of her toddler son, was sentenced today to 31 years in prison.
Ms. Soto, 29, was convicted in October of first-degree aggravated manslaughter and two counts of endangering the welfare of a child related to injuries sustained by her 21-month-old son Daniel, who died June 4, 2003, and his twin brother, Joel.
She will serve 23 years for the aggravated manslaughter offense and eight years for endangerment related to the abuse of Joel. She will serve her seven-year sentence for endangerment related to the abuse of Daniel concurrently.
Ms. Soto, who could have received up to 40 years in prison for the three offenses, must serve at least 28 years before becoming eligible for parole.
Judge Maryann Bielamowicz, who handed down the sentence in Mercer County state Superior Court, said she took several factors into account in determining its length. Ms. Soto’s lack of a prior record, the inability of her children to defend themselves and Ms. Soto’s knowledge that further abuse could cause serious injury to her sons all were considered, she said.
"I have rarely seen an offense that was sadder or more heinous," Judge Bielamowicz said at the sentencing. "Especially at your hands, who gave birth to these beautiful, beautiful boys."

