Things looking up for MHS wrestlers

Manderski wins jayvee tournament

By: Rudy Brandl
   
   Manville High’s wrestlers got just what they needed out of Saturday’s Garden State Tournament — some mat experience, a few victories and a little confidence.
   The Mustangs took a young, inexperienced crew to Princeton for the season opening tourney, not completely sure what to expect. When there weren’t enough varsity teams to fill brackets for a standard tournament, MHS head coach Brett Stibitz was left with a decision.
   Instead of going head-to-head with other teams in a series of dual meets, Stibitz elected to enter his eight wrestlers in the 10-team jayvee tournament. He made the right call.
   "It was good for our kids," Stibitz said. "Everyone won at least one match and we got four medals. We wanted to get guys on the mat. I wanted to get everyone a couple of matches."
   Junior heavyweight Mark Manderski won the jayvee tournament, pinning his way to the title. Manderski wasn’t even on the mat for a full period in his three bouts, a run that ended with a 12-second pin in the finals.
   "He wrestled smart," Stibitz said. "He’s about 262 pounds right now. He had a decent year last year and if he gets a couple more moves, he could be dangerous. He’s a load."
   Junior Roland Yakobchuk (135) and promising freshman Wayne Snell (112) placed second for the Mustangs. Freshman Kevin Sellers (160) finished fourth. Stibitz was happy to see two of his freshmen come home with medals.
   Four other MHS wrestlers also each won a bout. Sophomore Adam Wolcott (119) and Jason Pfoutz (140) have some experience, while Marvin Sosa (130) and Lucash Bogdonowicz (152) are new to the sport.
   Manville will rely on many newcomers this year. Stibitz has beefed up his roster to 22 wrestlers, which should make the team more competitive in dual meets. Also the school’s head football coach, Stibitz had a late start in recruiting for wrestling.
   "It’s a lot of recruiting in the hallways," he said. "Now we have 22 kids hydrated. We probably won’t have to forfeit that many bouts."
   Manville’s dual meet opener vs. Carteret was postponed from Dec. 21 to Jan. 23, leaving the team with one match prior to next week’s Somerset County Tournament at Hillsborough. The Mustangs will travel to Barringer Thursday night with a decent shot at winning.
   "It’s a true rebuilding year, but it’s going to be an interesting season," said Stibitz, with more than half his roster comprised of freshmen and sophomores.
   The Mustangs won’t enter everyone in the county tourney, an event that features some of Central Jersey’s toughest and most experienced wrestlers. Teams like Watchung Hills, Bridgewater-Raritan, Bound Brook, Bernards and Hillsborough boast serious star quality.
   Stibitz expects to have Manderski, Yakobchuk, Snell and senior 189-pounder Andrew Schaefer on the mat for the county tourney. Other Mustangs who could get an SCT match include Wolcott, Pfoutz, Sellers, Sosa and Bogdonowicz.
   "My returning guys will compete," Stibitz said. "I hope we get some decent seeds and maybe we can win a match here and there. We just want to represent Manville."