Councilwoman Cynthia Ege and Councilman-Elect Ron Pittore were selected by Mayor David Del Vecchio to act as liaisons between the city and the New Jersey Department of Transportation.
By: Linda Seida
LAMBERTVILLE Do you have an opinion about the state’s proposed redesign of Route 29?
The city wants to know how you feel.
Whether you love the idea of three new roundabouts the state says will make driving and pedestrian crossings safer or whether you think they’re the dumbest thing since Pepsi Clear, you’re invited to share your opinions with two City Council members.
Residents and merchants are being asked to contact Councilwoman Cynthia Ege or Councilman-elect Ron Pittore, who will make a final recommendation to the council. No date for the recommendation was announced.
Mayor David Del Vecchio recently appointed Mrs. Ege and Mr. Pittore to act as liaisons between the New Jersey Department of Transportation and factions of the city’s population, including the Lambertville Area Chamber of Commerce.
Some people want more of a chance to be heard. They say they’re upset because they were not notified of the DOT’s information meeting Dec. 8 at the Justice Center in time to attend, including several residents of South Main Street who last week told the mayor and council they are "really concerned."
The night of the Justice Center meeting, several more people said they hadn’t found out about the session until a short while before the meeting began, after reading about it in The Beacon.
The DOT was required to notify only those people whose properties sit within 300 feet of the proposed changes.
Mayor Del Vecchio appointed Mrs. Ege and Mr. Pittore so all interested parties will have an opportunity to express their opinions.
"I think we need to get some real input, find out what aspects of the plan people can live with, find out what aspects of the plan people can’t live with," Mayor Del Vecchio said. "We’ll set up a better process."
Mrs. Ege said she likes some aspects of the project, such as the ones that increase pedestrian safety.
"But there are a lot of pieces of it that raise a lot of concern," she said.
Mr. Pittore said there is much concern about traffic backups on the weekends and pedestrian safety.
"I watch people cross there every day, and I hold my breath," he said.
Both Mrs. Ege and Mr. Pittore can be reached by calling City Hall at 397-0110. Mrs. Ege also may be reached at 397-4574 or via e-mail at [email protected]. Mr. Pittore also may be reached at 397-1330 or via e-mail at [email protected].
Mrs. Ege and Mr. Pittore ask that persons who contact them provide their names, addresses, phone numbers and e-mail addresses to ensure they are included on a mailing list related to the DOT’s proposed redesign of Route 29.
"The state has assured us, if Lambertville doesn’t want this, they don’t want to give us a product we don’t want," Mrs. Ege said.
As part of its $6 million plan, the DOT has proposed creating three roundabouts within the city’s borders: at the intersection of Mount Hope Street and Route 29; at Quarry Street where it spills out near Route 29; and the third to replace the traffic light at Route 179 and Bridge Street.
The DOT claims roundabouts promote safety for both drivers and pedestrians. The agency says roundabouts are not the same as traffic circles; roundabouts are smaller, vehicles within the roundabout have the right of way, the speed limit in a roundabout is limited to 15 mph, and incoming traffic must yield.
This project extends along Route 29 from the start of the existing four-lane roadway at the south end of the city to Mount Hope Street, according to the DOT. It also incorporates routes 165 and 179, with Route 165 extending for a quarter-mile parallel to Route 29.
The Route 179 portion of the plan extends north for almost a mile in Lambertville before entering West Amwell for less than half a mile to Music Mountain Boulevard.
In addition to installing roundabouts, the project would cut the lanes along routes 29 and 165 from four to two with a center-turn lane. Along Route 179, the four lanes would be reduced to one lane going south and two going north.
"I asked for a lower speed limit and pedestrian access from the hill, and this is the plan we get," Mayor Del Vecchio said. "The number of people who come up to me and say, ‘This is a good idea,’ I can count on my hands and toes."
The DOT has said the preliminary design phase would begin in June and continue through December 2007. The final design would be worked on from January 2008 to January 2009. Construction would start in May 2009 and continue through December 2010.
"They’re not doing this without our approval," Mayor Del Vecchio said.
Mrs. Ege added, "They promised us that."

