Borough Council takes a step to improve a key park

Naturalists to be asked to make proposals on Harrison Street Park

By: Kara Fitzpatrick
   The Princeton Borough Council on Tuesday backed the next step of the Harrison Street Park improvement project, authorizing the administration to issue a Request For Proposals from naturalists who can provide an environmental assessment of the park’s condition.
   Residents urged the council to solicit environmental assessment proposals from naturalists instead of landscape architects because, they said, the park possesses diverse ecosystems, including mature trees and other vegetation. Residents said they feared that by not treating those ecosystems sensitively, the park wouldn’t live up to its potential.
   "What we envision is this beautiful, natural setting," resident Marie Rickman said, adding that currently the park is in "such disarray."
   But council members were not all on the same page regarding the best way to proceed with plans for park improvements.
   "It is not clear that we have the intention of following through," Councilman David Goldfarb said.
   Mr. Goldfarb cast the lone vote against the measure to seek naturalist proposals. He said the borough should come up with an accurate projection of the funds it intends to put toward the park improvements before moving ahead with an RFP.
   In a presentation about the project, Borough Administrator Robert Bruschi gave no details about the estimated cost of improvements, but said once the 2006 budget is finalized, the appropriate amount will be evident.
   "You’re going to have your (financial) information before you’re backed up to a wall," Mr. Bruschi told the council. The administrator stressed that the proposal was for an environmental assessment only, and not for the overall project plans. "We’re in the information-gathering phase," Mr. Bruschi said.
   Mr. Bruschi also laid out goals for the park as mutually established by members of the administration and residents. The goals include: to conserve the natural feeling of the park; to enhance its wooded areas; to develop playground equipment that is consistent with the park’s natural aesthetic; and to improve pedestrian access. Other goals include the creation of a more efficient stormwater management plan that, whenever possible, utilizes natural solutions and the involvement of neighbors in the restoration and ongoing stewardship of the park.
   The majority of council members sided with the public and said they believed hiring a naturalist was the best avenue to take in order to accomplish that vision. And the more than half-dozen residents who spoke publicly about the improvement project said they hoped a park replete with trees, gardens and shade would be the end result.
   "I think we have the chance to make this a wonderful asset," resident Clifford Zink said.
   Mr. Bruschi said it is his goal to have the proposals returned by mid-May and have a public review of those proposals in early June.
   In a separate presentation, Kevin Wilkes of the Princeton Parks Alliance provided an update of the Princeton Battle Monument lighting project, which is slated to be complete in January.
   According to Mr. Wilkes, fundraising efforts for the permanent illumination of the monument are well under way — so far, he said, $100,000 of the $125,000 needed for the project has been collected through state grants, Princeton University donations and individual offerings. The effort will continue with a fundraising event April 29 at the Palmer House.
   In other business, the council unanimously approved increasing the maximum fine for municipal ordinance violations from $1,000 to $2,000. The approved ordinance includes a special provision for housing violations that gives offenders 30 days to remediate the problem and a judicial hearing before being fined.