Mansfield parents ask for greater accountability for staff
By: Scott Morgan
MANSFIELD Parents concerned over evidence that the township school district shredded parts of records from some special education students last year are hoping for a greater accountability for staff members in charge of archiving them.
Parents questioned board members during the district meeting Monday as to whether records custodians, special education program coordinators and other staff members who have access to student files are properly trained in the methods of retaining and keeping them. Those concerns stem from events last summer, when, according to the state Department of Education, township program coordinators shredded parts of some students’ records.
Though the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) prohibits the destruction of student records, the act does not spell out any penalties for those who do. No enforcement action, therefore, has been taken against the district.
Reportedly, those records were shredded at the behest of an attorney representing the district, but interim Superintendent Charles McGlone said Tuesday that he has been assured no such directives were ever issued. Mr. McGlone also assured that the shredding stopped several months ago at the orders of the DOE. A memo from then-Superintendent Joe Bruni to school staff, released at the time, demands those handling special education files "cease the shredding of documents" used to determine a student’s eligibility for the program.
But concerned parents, such as Cate Kurowsky, say they want more than assurances that records destruction has ceased. They want the school to ensure that such events don’t happen again.
"We want the district (to ensure) that employees have received adequate training" for handling files, Ms. Kurowsky said by phone Tuesday. "We need people to know the rules. Those records are as important as any other kids medical records. They track the child. If you destroy them, you have to build the trail all over again."
Mr. McGlone said in response that he is meeting with school officials and the soon-to-be announced permanent superintendent (a woman who is set to take over the district on July 1, but whose identity is being kept quiet by the district until she informs her current employers) to discuss ways of setting up professional workshops related to special education.
As special education can be a vast, involved entity, he said, he wants to provide education for those who work in it. Those courses are tentatively set for next school year and include methods of keeping and retaining student files, Mr. McGlone said.
Ms. Kurowsky said she and other parents remain hopeful that things will work out.
"(Mr. McGlone) is a man of integrity," she said. "Our goal has always been to support the district. We hope to be positive and proactive."

