Philip Castagna charged with conspiring to kill ex-wife
By: Scott Morgan
A state Superior Court judge in Mount Holly on Monday announced that the conspiracy trial of former Bordentown City Police Chief Philip Castagna will begin in January 2007.
The former chief will stand trial next year on charges that he conspired to have his ex-wife, Joyce Leopold, killed in a 2003 fire at the couple’s Burlington home a charge Mr. Castagna has denied. Ms. Leopold, who was not injured in the fire, and Mr. Castagna were separated at the time of the fire that damaged part of the back of the couple’s house.
The couple’s relationship eroded into allegations (by both parties) of domestic violence, restraining orders and contempt of court charges and ended in divorce last year.
The last of those charges led to Mr. Castagna’s removal from the city police force in May 2004. Superior Court Judge James Morley decreed then that Mr. Castagna could never again hold public office or own a weapon. The former chief was arrested and charged with conspiracy to commit murder, aggravated arson and contempt of court in October 2004 and was released on $300,000 bail.
From the beginning, Mr. Castagna, 44, who now lives in Plainsboro, has maintained that the Burlington County prosecutor’s office paid an acquaintance, 42-year-old Gary Hall, to set up the ex-chief. Prosecutors have stated that Mr. Hall whose identity was kept under wraps until Mr. Castagna’s attorney, Robin Lord of Trenton, learned it last year made electronic recordings of himself speaking with Mr. Castagna about a plot to have Ms. Leopold killed.
Last month, Ms. Lord filed a motion to have the charges against her client dismissed, when Mr. Hall, who is currently serving a prison sentence in Florida on robbery charges, reportedly decided not to testify as a witness in the case.
On Monday, Ms. Lord requested that Superior Court Judge Thomas Smith compel Mr. Hall to turn over his copy of the taped conversation regarding Ms. Leopold (the prosecution has yet to reveal its tapes in court) and to compel prosecutors to surrender all evidence before the trial. The judge did not immediately rule on her request and set a May 22 hearing date.
Prosecutors would not comment on the case.
After the trial date was announced Monday afternoon, Mr. Castagna read a prepared statement in which he professed his optimism.
"Today is the road to victory for myself and Ms. Lord," he said. "At our jury trial, we will have the opportunity to put my ex-wife, Gary Hall, local and state police officers, elected officials and other witnesses on the stand to show the lies, bad police work and conspiracy that has been fabricated against me."
Mr. Castagna said also that he was excited to know that Court TV plans to broadcast his trial because, he said it would give the entire country the opportunity to hear the whole story.

