Despite rejection by voters, school officials said margins of defeat were close
By: Scott Morgan
Believe it or not, some school administrators feel pretty good about their budgets.
Though more than half the state’s school budget proposals, including five of eight in northern Burlington County, died in voters’ hands on April 18, the final numbers for many districts were at least close. To some, such as Northern Burlington Regional School District Superintendent James Sarruda, whose budget failed by 82 votes out of 2,366 total, it is encouraging to see such a strong base of support in a year riddled with financial woes within the state and across the country.
"I’m encouraged by the whole process leading up to the election," Dr, Sarruda said in a Tuesday phone interview. "I’m pleased with the show of support."
On April 18, 1,101 voters across the district’s four sending areas (Mansfield, Springfield, North Hanover and Chesterfield) gave the $31.38 million budget a thumbs up and 1,265 turned it down. The largest single sector to come out against the budget was the Homestead adult community in Mansfield, which voted 323-51 against it.
While not assigning any opinions to that fact, Dr. Sarruda said he understands the frustration many of the community’s residents told him they feel about the school budget process when he met with them prior to the election.
He said he was more encouraged that the race to pass the budget was close and suggested that it would be wise to concentrate on the positives.
"There’s not a clear message out there," he said, citing that Chesterfield, which would have seen a tax decrease, voted itself into a tie (190-190) while North Hanover, which would have seen a hefty increase, voted 186-140 in favor of the budget.
"It really almost becomes a spirit," Dr. Sarruda said. "Who wants to get out there and support the kids."
"Everyone wants to help out the kids," said Bordentown Regional Superintendent John Polomano. "But you’ve got to do something about the property taxes."
Mr. Polomano said Tuesday that he finds nothing inherently encouraging or discouraging in the results of last week’s election, noting "It is what it is." He said simply that between troubles in the state economy, soaring gas prices and an outdated system of using property taxes to fund school budgets, "It’s tough on folks."
Though voters in Fieldsboro (which, with Bordentown City and Bordentown Township comprise the entire district) voted 26-13 in favor of the BRSD’s $34.7 million budget, those in Bordentown City and, in particular, Bordentown Township tipped the scales far into the negative. In the end, 721 voters in the district said no, while 456 said yes.
With defeated budgets in Mansfield, Chesterfield and Florence as well, school and local officials are scheduling times to meet and discuss the next steps. When a school budget fails, it is up to the local governing body to review the budget and decide where (or if) any cuts are warranted.
The final results are due to the Burlington County Department of Education by May 19, though officials say things should be wrapped up before then.
Florence Township Administrator Richard Brook said the Township Committee has received the failed $23.8 million Florence school budget (it went down 582-251) and expects to meet with school officials over the next two weeks.
Dr. Sarruda said that NBC could return to an old practice of visiting each of its sending districts and discussing matters with local governing bodies, rather than holding a single meeting, as it has done for the past few years. He said he hopes to have things wrapped up by May 8.

