Borough acts to curtail oversize homes

Ordinance sets stricter floor-to-area ratios

By: Kara Fitzpatrick
   After more than two years in the works, the Princeton Borough Council on Tuesday approved an ordinance that limits the size of residential buildings based on a floor-to-area ratio.
   The ordinance is already in effect, but an amendment grandfathers applications that were received by the planning department through Tuesday.
   The measure requires that one-family homes in the R1 district — the district with the largest lots — now be limited to a 25-percent floor-to-area ratio; those in the R2 zone limited to a 30-percent floor-to-area ratio; and one-family dwellings in the R3 and R4 districts to a 40-percent floor-to-area ratio.
   Two-family, attached and multiple dwellings in the R3 and R4 districts are allowed a 45-percent floor-to-area ratio.
   For example, a 20,000-square-foot lot in the R1 district was previously permitted to include a 15,000-square-foot house; now a 5,000-square-foot house is the largest that can be built on such a lot.
   The ordinance, which officials said aims to curb the creation of gigantic homes on disproportionately small lots, passed unanimously with Councilwoman Barbara Trelstad abstaining and Councilman David Goldfarb absent. However, Councilman Roger Martindell dissented from approving the amendment grandfathering applications previously received by the borough.
   The amendment was added after two homeowners expressed concern that applications and plans for additions they had already submitted to the borough — and, they said, spent considerable funds for an architect to draw — would be voided if the ordinance were approved.
   Committeeman Andrew Koontz said the residents’ concerns for an exception on their submitted applications was valid. "I simply don’t think it’s an unreasonable request," he said.
   Mr. Martindell disagreed, saying the ordinance to regulate the size of new homes and additions has been in progress — and publicly discussed — long enough for residents to make plans accordingly.
   "I don’t think this has come as a bolt out of the blue," Mr. Martindell said. "We are moving on this ordinance for a specific reason — to preserve our community."
   Mr. Martindell suggested that, rather than "bend over backwards for a few individuals," the council should approve the ordinance to be effective immediately.
   "That does not leave any individual without a remedy. There are variances," Mr. Martindell said.
   But Mr. Koontz defended the amendment, saying that although a proposal to limit the home sizes has been discussed at length, "It’s not like we’ve been in any mad rush to pass this ordinance."
   The ordinance also requires that taller homes be set back farther from neighboring properties. In addition, the ordinance includes a clause that provides homeowners with undersized lots an adjusted — and slightly larger — floor-to-area ratio.
   At its April 20 meeting, the Regional Planning Board of Princeton endorsed the ordinance but with an amendment regarding the building height-to-side yard setback ratio that homeowners would have to meet in order to construct additions.
   The Planning Board said the ordinance should be amended to permit an exception to the approved building height-to-side yard setback ratio — providing the home meets specific setback requirements — for additions that do not exceed the length of the existing portion of the building.
   The council approved the ordinance as it was introduced but indicated that it will consider the issue raised by the Planning Board and amend the ordinance if needed.