Harassment charges not in court yet
By: Cara Latham
NORTH HANOVER Committeeman Paul Bruni will not be resigning from the Township Committee, nor is he taking a leave of absence, according to Mayor William Tilton.
Mr. Bruni, a Larrison Road resident, had previously decided to resign from his position after a New Egypt man filed harassment charges on March 15, claiming that Mr. Bruni subjected the man’s 15-year-old daughter to "offensive touching, specifically by talking to the victim … about sexual acts, touching her underwear, trying to go in her shirt, playing with her bra strap and attempting to put his mouth on her ear."
But the case was investigated by the Ocean County prosecutor’s office and was determined not to be serious enough to warrant criminal charges. The case was returned to Plumsted Township Municipal Court and will be treated as a disorderly persons offense, Executive Assistant Prosecutor Robert Gasser of the Ocean County prosecutor’s office said in April.
In April, Mitchell J. Ansell, Mr. Bruni’s attorney, said that details of the case could be discussed at greater length after the case is heard in court.
Mr. Tilton said he spoke with Mr. Bruni, one of four Republicans who has been on the Township Committee after his November 2004 election, and the two decided that there was no reason for him to step down because the case against Mr. Bruni has not yet gone to court.
"It was senseless for him to step down," said Mr. Tilton.
If Mr. Bruni did resign, the Republicans would have to appoint a new committeeman out of a pool of three candidates.
Mr. Bruni did not return phone calls regarding his decision by press time.
Mr. Bruni is still active in his position and will not take a leave of absence, said Mr. Tilton. He attended the last Township Committee meeting, Mr. Tilton said.
Mr. Bruni was scheduled to appear before a Plumsted court in April, but because of a scheduling conflict with Mr. Bruni’s lawyer, Mitchell J. Ansell of Ocean, the date was postponed to May 24. However, Mr. Bruni and his attorney and the prosecutor canceled the court date because of a scheduling conflict. The Plumsted Municipal Court confirmed that the new court date has been set for June 28 at 11 a.m.

