BY CHRISTINE VARNO
Staff Writer
LONG BRANCH – A Belmont Avenue man is facing charges of kidnapping a woman at knifepoint last week.
According to Long Branch police, on June 27, the female victim was confronted by Santiago S. Perez as she was exiting a cab in front of her boyfriend’s home on Bath Avenue.
The two began arguing, and Perez allegedly pulled out a knife and ordered her to get into the back seat of a car driven by his friend, Jacobo Hernandez, police said.
The woman’s boyfriend attempted to intervene, and Perez tried to slash him with a knife, according to police.
Perez then dragged the victim into the vehicle and left the area, heading toward Belmont Avenue, police said.
Police spotted the vehicle and saw a woman waving her hands to gain the officers’ attention. The officers stopped the vehicle and the victim helped police recover a knife she said Perez threw out the window of the vehicle, police said.
Perez was arrested and charged with kidnapping, domestic violence, aggravated assault, terroristic threats and weapons charges. Bail was set for Perez at $200,000 with no 10 percent option
Hernandez was charged with obstruction and released on a summons, according to police.

